owner's manual statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Do not add any chemical additives or use
oils with a grade of CD a or higher."

Isn't Rotella CJ? Well, Ive been running this for 2 hours with no problems, but just noticed this statement under the "Except for USA and CDN" clause.

I'm pretty sure it is fine but just wonder why they would put this in the owner's manual.

Also, it says not to use oils labeled 'Energy Conserving II or higher". I just check PP and its just plain 'energy conserving' so it is lower and may be acceptable according to this, but this is meant for international and not USA or Canada, but Im not gonna use it, just interested in the wording thats all.

Last edited:
Originally:
Energy conserving motor oil: Increases mileage by 1.5%
Energy conserving 11 motor oil: Increaese mileage by 2.7%

Most manufacturers quickly switched to Energy Conserving 11 oil.
The EPA thought everybody should use category 11 only and eliminated the first category. This is a copyrighted symbol, all new oils displaying "energy conserving" are category 11 oils.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
What kind of vehicle are we talking about here? Nothing higher than CD? That's a 50's spec.

Its a Yamaha 4 stroke as seen in my sig.

Maybe its a typo, since they usually say the opposite. Ex, "SJ or higher"

Whatever the case is, I put a few hours on it yesterday and some top-speed and WOT runs with no slippage.

what years is your owners manual (same manual may have been used for many model years, API-CD was obsoleted in 1996.

many oils state "energy conservation" or "conserves energy", or "friction reduction" etc But it's just marketing lingo, doesn't mean it's friction reduced to a spec. Best thing is look for the starburst on the label, and avoid it in your wet clutch bike.

i owned a 01 TTR 125L (my wife rode it) and you can run any oil in it you want.
i raced it in a "fun minibike" race and really ran the snot out of the motor. it held up just fine with SRT in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back