Which tires for '06 Honda Pilot AWD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into replacing tires on our '06 Honda Pilot AWD.

Here are the choices. All of these have excellent reviews. I need tires that will last a long time, provide a quiet ride, have excellent wet and snow traction. The OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 were horrible in the snow and the wet.

Michelin currently has a $70 rebate but Yokohama is priced a bit less expensive if it weren't for the rebate Michelin is offering.

I'm leaning toward one of the Michelin's but have no idea which to pick since all are so close in all the ratings across the board.

Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 104S
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV 104S
Michelin Latitude Tour 104T
Michelin LTX M/S 104S

Last edited:
May I recommend these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FL+Alenza

Its a completely different tire than your H/T's were. More of a luxury tire. It has great reviews, based off of 10.7 million miles. It has a good, long track record.

I have them on the Explorer right now. Just passed 40,000 miles and they are barely starting to wear. Still very quiet and smooth; they have not needed balancing since initial installation. They haven't even been back to the tire shop; I rotate them myself in the driveway every 10,000 miles. They have great wet traction, which I feel is most important because that is when you encounter the most surprises. No snow experience. Since you have AWD, I wouldn't think it would matter. I really can't say enough good things about these tires. Im predicting I will get 75-80,000 miles from them.

Last edited:
How about the General Grabber HTS? It has a treadwear rating of 640, it's made in the USA, about 1/3 the cost of the Michelins, it's ranked #1 in its category on Tirerack.

draft_lens2362887module13358550photo_1231366509GrabberTread.jpg

My friend has a Geolander on his Pilot for the past 50k miles or so... he's convinced its one of the best all seasons for SUVs with performance and value in mind. Michelin is generally over-priced for what you get. The only Michelin I'd ever buy is Pilot A/S or Pilot PS2s... way too expensive with cheaper and similar performance out there.

My father just (8K) put Dueler H/L Alenza on his RX350 and loves them. More quiet and better response than stock.

Last edited:
My buddy is putting (this Sat. 24th)on his 07 Pilot, Kumho Solus KR-21's as per my recomendation. He's had as OE, GY Integrity's and 1 set of Bridgestone Dueler HT. Wants something a bit more carlike but better than the GY's. KR-21; $75.00($300.00) + $47.00 shipping from the TR. Wal*Mart will install all four for $54.00 which includes tax. $401.00 and call it a day!

My FIL just put these KR-21's on his Venture Mini-Van and absolutly loves them. Best tier he's ever put on this van(he says). Everything else shimmy'd and vibrated(even after rebalancing) according to my FIL. No vibrations, balanced first time out and very quiet. Hold the road nicely and corner better than you might think.

If it were me, I'd be getting the Michelin LTX's. For my HL, they're 150 at Sams, plus 15 mount/bal = 660 +tax out the door, and that's with the warranty and lifetime balancing. They also have some BFG's for 200 bucks less. Michelins are expensive, but most fleet owners swear they will have lower total cost. And even if they don't, it's a brand with basically guaranteed quality which is worth quite a bit these days.

I have the Dueller 687's and they are terrible as well, at least in snow/wet.

Out of your list, I'd pick the 1st or last. There are a lot of great highway and AT tires out now. I have the Cross Terrains as OEMs, and am not impressed with them at all (based on the hype and $). The Grabber HTS were also rated #1 by a "leading consumer magazine". For an A/T, the Firestone Destination ATs are great. Great ride, and traction year around. A lot of the the highway AS tires sacrifice winter traction for ride/rolling resistance.

Few thousand miles now on my General Grabber HTS's. Very satisfied, great wet/dry grip, quiet and good road irregularity absorbtion. Plus a great price!

I also came across Cooper Discoverer CTS. The tire is a 70k mile tire with a $75 rebate. I can get four shipped after rebate for $355.52.

Any experience with these?

I'd probably go with the generals, they make some good tire lines and bad tire likes like all tire manufacturer's and those are one of their best tires.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
I also came across Cooper Discoverer CTS. The tire is a 70k mile tire with a $75 rebate. I can get four shipped after rebate for $355.52.

Any experience with these?

I know a few Jeeps with those....they love em'.

I'm having a hard time deciding on tires.

The size I need for my Pilot is 235/70-16.

I'm down to these choices.

-Cooper Discoverer CTS $339 Shipped After Rebate

-Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 $381 Shipped and will include TPMS rebuilt kit for free.

-General Grabber HTS $402.80 Shipped

I've eliminated the Michelin's that I posted in the first post due to price even though they have a sweet $70 rebate, the price is at least $120 more than the other choices and the performance is probably very similar.

Honestly, it's probably down between the Yokohama's and Cooper.
Cooper has a 70k mile warranty but is a very new tire with minimal reviews. The Yokohama's have a 60k mile warranty and have many more positive reviews. I'd probably go with the Yokohama over the General due to a better association I have with the brand.

Help me out guys.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 for $375-$40 rebate = $335 shipped for all four and receiving a free TPMS rebuilt kit with the purchase.

Hopefully these will better than the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back