Thinking of getting a Mazda RX8???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of trading in my tried and trusted Mazda 3s for a Mazda RX8, My 3s is my daily driver, she has 120'000 trouble free miles and she dries and handles like the first day i took her home with 7 miles on the odo, she has never spent a daY IN THE SHOP (knock on wood)all i have done is buy gas , change the tires twice, change the brakes once, truly a superb automobile, So my question is Could the the rotary engine in the RX8 stand up to the rigors of being a daily driver commuting car? I drive 120 miles daILY 5 days a week, how would the rotary handle the wear and tear as opposed the the regular engine in my 3s ? I understand that rotaries use up a lot of oil is this one of the drawbacks?
I really dont want to get rid of my 3s, but i'm thinking about the new fancier RX8 , What is your opinion,

Driving that much would be a plus actually. Remember to rev the [censored] out of it 20 min after starting it up. Use a group III oil. When you shut it off you rev it and cut it off when you let go of the pedal.

The Renesis Engine is best coupled with a manual as it is better off hitting high rpm's. Typically the engines need work at around 80-100k miles with the automatics(used to frequent one of the Mazda boards researching the dino/synth + rotary issue. The automatic's are not tuned for high rpm(many usually aren't unless they are little high rpm 4 bangers, the Hyundai Touring is a medium/high rpm auto).

In either case use the recommended Dino, or order the special Renesis synth from Mazda. Not just any synthetic will do for the engine.

Myself and many others love the rotary engine, but some people refuse to listen to Mazda when they state DO NOT USE SYNTH. More harm than good comes from it. Mazda has a special elixir synth that recently came out made for the RX8 straight from Japan.

Last edited:
bdcardinal works at a Ford/Mazda dealer. I'm sure he can give you some advice.

From what I've heard, the RX-8 is an oddball car that has had some significant reliability issues.

I also know a guy that works at Mazda dealer and just like Anies says, most RX8's that are brought to them are either automatics or cars that were babied from new and rarley saw the redline. He says that people, that flogg these things to death, have no problems at all.

What most people don't understand is rotary engines have to be wound up all the way to the redline almost daily and they burn oil on purpose to lube the apex seals.

Some guys on the RX8 forum use heavy doses of TWC3 two stroke oil or MMO in their gas to help with lubrication when sitting in traffic or when prolonged idling can't be avoided.

Last edited:
Correct(at the time of my post I couldn't exactly remember why it needed high redline), but they do burn oil, synthetics typically will resist burn-off thus hurting the engine.

As with any sports car, people who don't know tend to baby the RX-8 due to its nature(its a beautiful car), but you do have to push it hard if not daily, every few days. No low 2-3k RPM shifts, you need to push it high near red line. Thats why most Mazda forum members tell people that are interested in the car to throw out the rational from their past ownership and listen to their recommendations and to buy a stick. You won't get far with the auto variant.

Wow, I didn't know the RX8 was so unique in it's requirements. Was this true for the older RX7's and such? I can't remember the last time I saw any old RX7 on the road. But they were nice looking cars. A guy across the street from me has a really sharp charcoal gray RX8 and they've had it I guess a year or so. Have not heard of any issues but I may have to go over there and offer to rev it out for them every now and then.
grin2.gif

My wife and I just bought a mazda 3 Sport for her as a daily driver. We both love it. We both also love the RX8 and wouldnt mind one at some point.

I've spoken to a neighbor down the road with one that drives hers daily. The car has seen a few minor trips to the shop, and parts can be pricey, BUT otherwise its been reliable, and she drives it everywhere. Even through Canadian winters.

They are notoriously hard on fuel, and do use oil. I would also run a high quality dino, or group 3 synthetic....Amsoil, posted a paper, stating that they recommend their XL line of oils for the rotary motor, not their top tier oil.

I think all these things considered, if youre prepared to spend the extra on gas, and keep on top of the oil levels, and the changes, the RX8 can be reliable. And there is no doubt, that it will be an amazing car to drive.

The new R3 model, is absolutely amazing in person. The seats are a work of art.

while picking up my car pool buddy the other morning, his neighbor left in an RX8; starting up that thing stunk so bad of burning oil it was like a diesel.
there is hardly anything I read about the RX8 that makes me want to get one- they burn oil, mpg sucks, and you have to always be worried if you are revving it high enough and often enough.
for a weekend toy, sure. but every day? I don't want to have to pretend to be Andretti every morning on my way to work.
I think I'd prefer a 350Z before a RX8.

Dont RX8 have a special resevoir for starting oil injection? or does it feed out of the sump? I had a collegue that owned one and sold it since he had to juggle multiple cars aound his house (kids!) and the RX8 would subsequently get moved around with no warm up. Then he would go to drive it to work and it wouldnt start do to oil fouling. Again I ask if these use a pre oiler - I swear he stated it had one.

The RX7 was similiar in design where it would require rpm bursts and the use of non-synthetic oils only. The RX-8 typically if not driven near redline/hard will see engine issues near the 80-100k mile mark. Forum members posted about rebuilds, some had to be done as early as 45-55k miles.

Part's are expensive, but what do you expect from Mazda's flagship sports car. 350z parts are just as expensive if not more so, Vette etc. It's the price you pay for admission, but its worth it. You would have a unique sports car with a much different power plant than your competitors.

Basically to own an RX-8 you need:

Use a quality Dino or Renesis Synthetic from Mazda.
Get a manual.
Drive it like you stole it daily, but obey the law!
Use high quality fuel and if need be use a nice fuel lube like MMO or TC-W3.
Ensure the engine is properly maintained and is able to breath. Heat is the Rotary's worst enemy.
Listen to the RX-8 owners when it comes to assistance, they often times know more about the car than any Dealership/Tech would.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
while picking up my car pool buddy the other morning, his neighbor left in an RX8; starting up that thing stunk so bad of burning oil it was like a diesel.
there is hardly anything I read about the RX8 that makes me want to get one- they burn oil, mpg sucks, and you have to always be worried if you are revving it high enough and often enough.
for a weekend toy, sure. but every day? I don't want to have to pretend to be Andretti every morning on my way to work.
I think I'd prefer a 350Z before a RX8.

The smell is due to the car not being driven often enough for a significant amount of time. It's like starting any car for 5 seconds and turning it off. You will smell gas/fumes if you keep doing this as it builds itself up in the system. The engine needs to be trounced around, definitely not a city driving car, more intended for the open road, Zoom Zoom!!

Adding to this:

I prefer the RX-7 over the RX-8 myself, body design, raw power and less overhead with maintenance. The RX-8 is a great car though and worth getting for the right price. I would rather buy a used RX-8 from a forum member than from a dealer. Brand new is out of the question because warranty issues in the first 36k are pretty nonexistent. All major issues occur after the warranty is gone.

If you could, find the RX-7 and be one of the few, the proud, the RX-7 owner. My cousin has an almost emerald green/forest green RX-7, believe its a 95/96(last year of production). He spent a pretty penny on it from another owner. I learned a lot about my dream car from him and I know how it feels when its ripped and tuned to compensate with all the bells and whistles he added to it. Taking it for a spin on the highway tearing through the gears the car was probably the most exciting ride i've had in a long time.

It's been garaged now for over 3 years, though he is a mechanic he has been having issues due to MS attacks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
... ... ... I don't want to have to pretend to be Andretti every morning on my way to work...
i have to be Nikki Lauda on my interstate commute or I get run over - the better the car takes a thrashing, the better for me. Maybe I have to look into one of these puppies
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Anies
... ... ...

Basically to own an RX-8 you need:

Use a quality Dino or Renesis Synthetic from Mazda.
Get a manual.
Drive it like you stole it daily, but obey the law!

Are not traffic speed limits made to be broken (except shool and residential zones of course)?

Last edited:
Rules are meant to be broken, but don't drive the car at 120mph on a 65mph freeway weaving in and out of lanes.

More like 0-65mph floor it, get it up to 70mph/75mph and keep it there. Occassionally you can mess around, but careful you can end up like my buddy CDSDonTBurn on the DH forums. His car slide into a ditch going a little fast into a turn, car was totaled. Was a nice RX8, still wants another one lol.

Some pics of his car when he got it brand new in 05

http://www.driverheaven.net/off-topic-forum/71121-my-new-rx-8-56k-warning.html

And pic's of it 1 year later. The aftermath of the turn.

http://www.driverheaven.net/off-topic-forum/106109-i-lost-my-8-a.html#post908668

Last edited:
I had a 04. It was a great looking car. It did very well in the turns. and that is it.

It was SLOW. It gets BAD MPG. It was in the shop A LOT.
It's a nice car to drive every once and a while, but it sucks as a daily driver.

City MPG was around 8. You can't out run a Ford Windstar. Do not get one.

Get a 350Z. It is faster, better looking, gets better MPG, MUCH more reliable.

Thanks for the input guys, Yes if i get one it would be a Manual, My 3s is a Manual, The gearbox is lifted straight out of the Rz7 , close ratio short throw, i wouldnt dream of buying a Rx8 in Auto, besides my Wife hates autos with a Passion, When we bought our
Toyota Tundra she asked the dealer for one in Manual LOL.

We are looking into the new 3 rotor engine RX8, i like the 350Z also but cant bring myself to like the cheap Nissan interiors.

Tundraz

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I had a 04. It was a great looking car. It did very well in the turns. and that is it.

It was SLOW. It gets BAD MPG. It was in the shop A LOT.
It's a nice car to drive every once and a while, but it sucks as a daily driver.

City MPG was around 8. You can't out run a Ford Windstar. Do not get one.

Get a 350Z. It is faster, better looking, gets better MPG, MUCH more reliable.

TEST SPECS: 2004 Mazda RX-8 5.8 14.49 (6 speed) (MT Mar '04)

Maybe your car wasnt running well. Or you have challenged a winndstar with 460 v8 and 200 shot nitrous
wink.gif
I would agree with the fuel mileage being v8 thirsty, but 8 MPG?

Last edited:
I ask again - since a lot of "oil burner" comments on this rx8 - I recall my colleague saying these have purposful oil injection into the CC at startup. Anyone know, or is it RX8 forum time?

The RX-8 is only slow and unreliable if you're afraid of revs. Which most people are.
wink.gif

Although it has one of the most responsive engines on the road, it does lack torque. You can get around at normal speeds just fine but if you really want to move, you have to put your foot down and keep the revs up (shudder to think a car might actually require you to work for speed).

Yes, the fuel economy stinks, yes it uses oil, yes you have to think about how you're driving it. I also think it sounds like an electric shaver.

In trade, the engine is exceptionally compact and light, and you end up with absolutely the most electric and sublime handling this side of a Porsche -- and it even compares favorably to some of those.

Power is cheap. Everyone has a torquey engine these days. Almost no car can handle and drive as well, let alone with good ride quality, let alone with four seats and a trunk, and let alone at such a good price point. The RX-8 even has a limited-slip diff, so it'll be decent in the snow.

The 350Z is a great counterpoint, actually. Wonderfully flexible engine, nice... um... gauges... and absolutely stone-aged in comparison besides than that. It only has two seats and is still heavier and can't handle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back