1996 plymouth voyager ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question what atf would everyone reccomend for a 1996 plymouth voyager it has the 4 speed automatic with the 3.3 Mitsubishi engine and 150,000 miles
Im sure the trans is on its way out but the fluid looks good it is a friends mini van that she got for free and is in good condition and fully loaded it does smoke a little but if it didn't it would not be a 3.3

that uses ATF +3. You can put +4 in if you want.
Make sure you have gear in Neutral so solenoids will move fluid.

I've worked on Mopars for years and never heard that..... the pump will move fluid regardless of the solenoids. even if the solenoid pack is removed! even if the valve body is removed! SO started my car and idled it for 10 mins while I had the valve body and pan removed. I have nothing positive to say.

It's a 3.0 Liter Mitsubishi or a 3.3 Chrysler engine. Most likely a 3.0 Litre as these were most common. (At least up here)

ATF+3 or 4 will do excellent in this transmission. If you don't have an external cooler and a Magnefine transmission line filter these would be a great addition.
wink.gif

Well the engine is bullet proof then and will last forever. Just the transmission that will need to be rebuilt over time.

An auxiliary external cooler after the radiator cooler and a magnefine filter before the radiator cooler will extend the life of your transmission greatly.

Use ATF+3 or 4 Mopar is excellent stuff if you want to use OEM. But nothing beats Amsoil's ATF for this transmission if you want to spend the money on it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Well the engine is bullet proof then and will last forever. Just the transmission that will need to be rebuilt over time.

LOL.
I was flipping through the channels a few weeks ago and I stopped for a minute on the COPS show. This Chrysler T&C van was sitting along the interstate engulfed in flames. The lady, her kids and a cop were watching it burn. She said that the fire had started at the van's transmission and that the transmission had been overhauled 3 times in the last month.
I guess she won't have to worry about the fourth.

3 times in a month is negligence on the shop who did it. There is no reason it can't be rebuilt to last as long (or longer!) than the one that was installed at the factory, IMO.

The 3.0 litre is an excellent engine but will burn oil over time because Chrysler didn't want to put the "good" valve seals in that Mitsubishi offered so it ultimately led to its demise and was hated by many. If you kept the oil topped up or replace the valve seals with ones available from a Mitsu dealer the engines were bullet proof and lasted forever.

There was also a couple of years where Chrysler chose not to use an EGR valve with this engine and it sent the NOX through the roof and many of these non-equipped engines would fail emission tests, blow head gaskets, crack heads, create oily sludge goop in the engine and deteriorate seals like crazy because the heat in the engine was too intense due to high cylinder temperatures.

They also had some early engines that would drop valve seats because of this heat problem and because Chrysler was too cheap to take Mitsu's advise and put a special clip in that would prevent it from falling. They were later forced to because of too many incidents.

My dad has one of these old ones (with an EGR) and it has almost 400K KM on it and runs great. But it burns a bit of oil... (So what)

The 3.3 never had any of these problems and although used outdated pushrod technology never had any issues lasting many miles untouched and without consuming the oil the 3.0 litres did.

The transmission for either was junk and is still junk, but got much better over the years.

For a budget mini-van it lasts long enough with proper care...

Yeah It's Chrysler's fault the 3.0L is an oil leaking, oil burning, head gasket popping POS.
whistle.gif

Did Chrysler make the Mits 2.6 a pinging, head cracking boat anchor too...
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back