Does Low Noack Volatility Numbers = Low Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about the value of having low volatility numbers on an oil. Does an oil with low volatility numbers mean that it might burn less than an oil with higher volatility numbers when used in the same engine. I've been looking for an oil with low numbers, but just curious if this is a worthwhile feature of an oil. My thinking is that low volatility might mean lower chance of oil rings being stuck over time. Not sure if this is correct or not though. any info appreciated, thanks.

It just means less evaporative loss while putting up with the stresses your engine puts on it.

For an engine that is burning oil the best thing you can do is do a good engine cleaning using some MMO in the oil preferable along with a high mileage oil, for a few runs.

This will clean the rings and any buildup and help to revitalize hardened seals.

Then switch to a thicker grade High mileage oil or thicker non high mileage oil depending on how much consumption is going on.

Another advantage of oils with better NOACK is PCV's that stay clean and oily vapour that doesn't endup inside your intake/plenum etc. in excessive quantities.

What kind of engine, mileage, and consumption are we talking about?

thanks for the quick reply steviec, your information on recent posts have been very helpful. My car doesn't really have consumption problems right now, but this engine is known to consume some oil due to the harsh combustion environment at higher rpms - 2L Honda S2000 2002 model year. I was just thinking that a low volatility oil might help keep the rings working as best as possible and avoid consumption issues in the future. thanks for your insight.

It's a happy balance between a quality fluid with a good base stock, additive package and NOACK rating.

You can spend countless hours driving yourself crazy looking at numbers until you can't see straight.

Use a fluid that seems to be well rounded and leave it at that.

I think I recommended Amsoil SSO for your engine right? It has a very good NOACK and will serve you well.

Glad I could help.
thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's a happy balance between a quality fluid with a good base stock, additive package and NOACK rating.

You can spend countless hours driving yourself crazy looking at numbers until you can't see straight.

Use a fluid that seems to be well rounded and leave it at that.

I think I recommended Amsoil SSO for your engine right? It has a very good NOACK and will serve you well.

Glad I could help.
thumbsup2.gif

Yup it's definitely something that has been driving me crazy, looking at too many numbers and advertisement info. , time to take the plunge and dive into an interval with a good oil. I will definitely be running the amsoil fluid, just finishing a short run with a high mileage oil to clean things out from previous owners and it should be ready for a good synthetic like amsoil. thanks again

cheers3.gif

Steve

Do the SSO... You won't be sorry.
thumbsup2.gif

I will let you know how my Red Line run turns out... Maybe that will be a choice for you too.

If you really want good No Ack check into the Fluid Terry Dyson likes Renewable Lubricants. They have some insane performance made from vegetable bases and unmatched by Amsoil/Red Line in some areas like NoAck.

I have used it and see amazing results. I've got more lined up to use once my Red Line testing is over.

Not always but it is usually a safe bet. It depends on how your engine is losing the oil. DO you understand the temperature that the NOAK test is done at? No car is going to have sump temps that high and the ring area's could exceed that.....So their is more to it then just NOAK. I have ran some oils that later on I found out had dreadful NOAK yet I had no observable consumption on the other hand I have ran some with great NOAK yet lost 1/4 of a quart in a few thousand miles!

So in theory a lower NOAK should produce lower consumption.More important and more over looked is that an oil with a lower NOAK should produce less deposits from light hydrocarbons cooking off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back