Havoline dino oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just want to make a quick question regarding Havoline motor oil. This will be my first time changing my own oil and im higly anticipating to dump out my factory filled oil with either Havoline or Chevron Supreme. I was just wondering if the Havoline many of you are refering to is called Havoline Formula 3? I havent seen many of these bottles and i would just like to make sure. Another question is that, is this oil hydrocracked? Thanks for all the replies.

High
smile.gif

The Havoline Formula 3 brand name was used by Texaco prior to the Chevron and Texaco merger in 2002.

Any current Havoline API SM & GF-4 grade products will list the Chevron name.

A Havoline Formula 3 will probably be GF-3 & SL and label will reference Equilon, which was the lubricant partnership between Shell & Texaco that was dissolved in 2001.

I would avoid it that is really old stock. go to your local walmart and pick up the SM havoline
cheers.gif

I started using Havoline in 1971 in my Nova and I have used it ever since. Whatever the formulations have been have worked for me. My previous car was a Grand Am with 300,000 miles and my present car is a Grand Prix with over 300,000 miles and never had an oil related problem. I sold the Gr Am and it was still running slick. The GP is running fine as well and I plan on driving it until it just completely dies or is too costly to revive.
I just looked at my stock of oil and I have 1 of the older formulations from Equilon and it does not say Formula 3 on it. It is a SL,SJ,SH GF-3.
I have some bottles from last year that are Chevron-Texaco and they are also SL,SJ,SH GF-3.
My newer stock is all rated SM,SL GF-4.
I'd doubt you'll find any Formula 3 bottles around but it would be good oil none the less.

Thanks for all the replies you guys. For some darn reason my local autozone had the sign Havoline Formula 3 underneath the oil's section. Weird, because i looked on the bottle and it is API SM and ILSAC GF-4. Well, thanks for the replies again. Im confident to buy a box of these right now.

High =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back