Coolant for 2005 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peak Professional??? That's not even mentioned on the Peak website.

Is that a (new) product that's going to replace Peak Long Life? Saw the response, but where's more info on the product?

Could it be the same stuff, under a different name (been done with other products)?

The Long Life looks like a good product, and alternative to Prestone.

As for the Peak GL, at the Wally's I frequent, they don't have it, period. Just the LL. Peak Antifreeze

So the net is to use Peak Global since its the best Peak has to offer and while I would like to use G-05 it has low silicates and Asian cars want no silicates.

Or go to Nissan dealer and drop off first newborn in exchange for a gallon of antifreeze.

How do you bleed the air from the system on the QR25DE? The QR18DE in my old Sentra had a bleeder bolt. My 07 Altima doesn't have such a bolt?

IMO you are at risk in dumping non-OEM coolants.
Stick with "Nissan Long Life Coolant" and you can rest in peace.

If Peak costs $12.xx why not pitch in $20.xx for Nissan coolant. IMO the $8 saving is inconseqential, its like having a large sub in Quiznos...

Quote:
How do you bleed the air from the system on the QR25DE?
I don't know about a bleeder bolt on my 03 QR25DE. When I did my flush, I drained, followed with Prestone Super Flush and distilled water, followed by several distilled water rinses, then coolant concentrate and distilled H2O to 50% mix. Then 'burped' to remove air and correct level.
Quote:
IMO you are at risk in dumping non-OEM coolants. Stick with "Nissan Long Life Coolant" and you can rest in peace.
Not to challenge that thought but, if Nissan recommends a change every 2 years or 30k after the initial change/flush how much risk can there be? Is that what Nissan means by "Long Life"? I also wonder if the Nissan Coolant is concentrate or premix? I used Prestone AM/M 20k and 2&1/2 years ago and have no issues.

I would say if you are only going to do a radiator drain and refill, you probably should stick with Nissan LLC.

Slightly off topic, but the more I read about the many coolant types on BITOG, I'm starting to question if the auto makers are doing this to make you feel the need to buy their coolant, not aftermarket?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
How do you bleed the air from the system on the QR25DE?
I don't know about a bleeder bolt on my 03 QR25DE. When I did my flush, I drained, followed with Prestone Super Flush and distilled water, followed by several distilled water rinses, then coolant concentrate and distilled H2O to 50% mix. Then 'burped' to remove air and correct level.
Quote:
IMO you are at risk in dumping non-OEM coolants. Stick with "Nissan Long Life Coolant" and you can rest in peace.
Not to challenge that thought but, if Nissan recommends a change every 2 years or 30k after the initial change/flush how much risk can there be? Is that what Nissan means by "Long Life"? I also wonder if the Nissan Coolant is concentrate or premix? I used Prestone AM/M 20k and 2&1/2 years ago and have no issues.

I would say if you are only going to do a radiator drain and refill, you probably should stick with Nissan LLC.

Slightly off topic, but the more I read about the many coolant types on BITOG, I'm starting to question if the auto makers are doing this to make you feel the need to buy their coolant, not aftermarket?
21.gif

I am thinking there is a lot of iron and aluminum in engines from GM or Ford or Toyota or VW or Nissan, so why all the different antifreezes??

Here is the pic of the Nissan coolant bottle.

002.jpg

The retail price is $24.99. My local Nissan dealers charge upward of $35.00 a gallon for it, and some don't even carry it. I bought my last gallon at the Infiniti dealer for under $20.00. They seem to follow Nissan spec with fluids. It seems the Nissan dealers just use any green fluid from Napa.

Quote:
The retail price is $24.99. My local Nissan dealers charge upward of $35.00 a gallon for it, and some don't even carry it. I bought my last gallon at the Infiniti dealer for under $20.00. They seem to follow Nissan spec with fluids. It seems the Nissan dealers just use any green fluid from Napa.
"$35.00"
crazy2.gif
It does say green in the owners manual. IMO, the average Nissan/Altima buy won't pay that or $25.00. Probably why even some Nissan dealers don't carry it.

Last fall, I checked my local Nissan dealer for pricing on the Nissan coolant. They don't carry it!!

The parts guy said they just use all makes/all models.

I wonder if they use the matic-J atf??

Originally Posted By: Canawler
I wonder if they use the matic-J atf??

I've heard of one Infiniti dealer that uses Valvoline Maxlife ATF instead of Matic J.

BTW where is it documented that Nissan Long Life Coolant lasts 2yrs/30K miles. The stuff lasts a min of 60K miles, I have no doubt about it.

I was not saying the Nissan Long Life only lasts 2yrs/30k, I have no idea how long it's supposed to last. Does it say on the bottle?

Point I was making is that Nissan's Altima maintainance schedule calls for a coolant change/flush every 2years/30k. Myself, I'm not paying that price for Nissan Coolant, especially if the interval is that short anyway. It seems even some Nissan dealers feel the same if they don't stock it. JMO

I figured it's getting about time to change the coolant in my 2002 I35 again. Since my Infiniti dealer is always too expensive, I usually pick it up at a Nissan dealer. One quoted me $35/gal., but another had it for $25. When I went to purchase it this morning, the parts counter guy said Nissan doesn't import antifreeze anymore and they (the Nissan dealer )use Shell! I said I called a week ago and they had the Nissan L248SP for $24.99. He went in the back, and came back with a gallon of it. Said he didn't know they still had it!! "Are you sure you want this," he said."It's $24.99." I guess he thought I was nuts, since they obviously don't use it when they service Nissans there. I should have checked to see what kind of Shell Coolant they used. Probably be the last time I use Nissan coolant. I wonder if they still recommend "Genuine Nissan Long Life Coolant" inthe 2009 Nissans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back