Ask dealer to swap tires at new car delivery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up a new car next week and am not impressed with the stock tires. I'd like to buy different tires at Sam's Club, and bring them to the dealer to put on at delivery. In such a situation, is it likely that the dealer will mount these at no charge and give me credit for the stock tires?

I am sure the dealer will mount your tires for free just to make the sale. But I highly doubt you'd get any credit for the factory tires. They will probably gprefer to give them back to you. Why not just try out the factory tires and see? You may find that you can live with them for until you need new ones.

Last edited:
No they will charge you up the arse for it.

Better off to go to another place and have it done then take your old tires and put them up for sale on the web or in the newspaper.

You would have better luck trying to sell them yourself, maybe advertise in the paper. Lot of people looking for a bargain. Brand new tires at a decent price should sell well.

They will put them on for free. After all, they are worried about selling the car, not losing a sale over a $60 install charge. Then take the original tires home and sell them. You should be able to recoup about 75% of the original price of those tires.

My mom ONLY drives on Michelin tires. When she bought her last car she demanded that they put on Michelin tires and they did...for like $100 extra.

Last edited:
I tried to have some Yoko's installed on my Altima when I picked it up.. They couldn't "source" any apparently. (I don't believe they tried) and put on some cheap garbage tires. I wasn't all that impressed.

On second thought, just drive your vehicle to Sam's. Doesn't Sam's install them for free? There will be less hassle that way.
If the dealership is like mine, sales and service are different. Service will bill sales for the installation. That is applied to the cost of the vehicle and the salesman makes less commission.

My dealership has sold (or tried to sell) vehicles at cost just to move them. You wouldn't believe what people think we should "throw in" for free. Offered a really decent trade to a gentleman on a new pickup. We were at a $1500 profit with trade. He wanted about $3000 of accessories thrown in. Many people, especially tight fisted farmers in my area, think there is $10k-$12k markup in a vehicle. This just isn't so.

I tossed the oem tires onour last 2 cars. I actually ebayed them at 50% value. iirc, the BFG g-Force on the Astra in 17" costs a total of $160 after everything, inc selling the Hankooks that came on it, so good deal.

Michelin or Bridgestone.. Only tires I will use... Best tires I have ever owned and all got me at least 200K KM (120K miles) out of them.
thumbsup2.gif

That is what will be going on the Santa Fe when these are done.

You may think about running the stocker for a few days. If there is any directional pulling of the vehicle these tires they installed could give you a problem if there is a warranty situation. Places like sams club Mount and Balance at No charge so you can later pickup the new tires and have them installed. Not to mention they offer free repairs, rotations and balancing.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
They will put them on for free. After all, they are worried about selling the car, not losing a sale over a $60 install charge. Then take the original tires home and sell them. You should be able to recoup about 75% of the original price of those tires.

+1

If you bring the tires, I'm sure they'll install them for free, or at least at a substantial discount.

Go to the service dept and see if the dealer uses Hunter equipment, specifically the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine. This will ensure the new tires will be mounted and balanced correctly for the best ride and handling, just what you expect of a new car.

I would not let the tire jockeys at Sams Club do the install unless you know them to be very high quality installers. Also, if the dealer does the work and something gets screwed up, you have some warranty work leverage with them. If Sams or some other place does the install, the dealer can blow you off if they feel like it. Do not put yourself at a disadvantage here - pay the $60 for install if you have to, but make sure the job is done right.

Have them do it, but have them put it in writing that they will not charge you extra for it, and have a copy of all the finalized paperwork before having them do it. If your payment fluctuates in any way or the term does, walk away.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

My mom ONLY drives on Michelin tires. When she bought her last car she demanded that they put on Michelin tires and they did...for like $100 extra.

This is the answer for you right here.

They will put the new tires on for you at no charge if you just ask as a rule and if they get uppity push it saying no sale unless they do it and I gurantee they will. Then take your OE tires home and sell them. If they have like 10 miles or less on them you can get as much as 85-90% of what they would sell for new "IF" you are patient and wait out all the losers trying to talk you down to $15 a tire. Hold firm to your price as you will get a lot of people trying to get them for nothing and those who try and trick you( example = agreeing over the phone to take them for X $$$ then once you meet they try and cut the $$$ in half ). Anything under 2000 miles and 75% as the other guy said is possible. 2000 seems to be the cut off point where you can still get good $$$ for them.

I do this all the time with OE tires I know before hand are horrible. I may not always be able to afford it at the time of sale but within a few hundred miles I get it done( my dealer is great and will usually do the swap free even if it is 2 months after purchase ). I think you are smart if you know now that the OE tires are junk to change them out. The fewer the miles on them means more money when you sell them. You can even at times break even of even come out slightly ahead. I have done it.

I actually did this with the OE 20" tires on my Ram( Goodyear Wrangler HP = one of the worst OE truck tires ever made if not the actual worst ). I couldn't do it when I bought the truck like I wanted to but I knew how bad the tires were so I was saving towards some better tires. I got a BIG sale coupon( 35% off a set of 4 )on the tires I wanted that let me do it quicker than planned. I immediately got the OE Junkyears off and then put them up for sale in places like Craigslist( so many people worship this brand I knew I could sell them for a decent amount of $$$ - don't know why when they are well known [censored] but you can ).

It took me 2 months of losers, scam artists, and people who thought I was stupid trying to get the OE tires for nothing but I held firm to my price and got it. With the big discount on the new tires, and holding out for my asking price range( tires would cost over $800 new, had 1800 miles, I asked $550 and got it ), I actually ended up a few bucks ahead.

So buy the tires you want and sell the OE's you know are junk. You might even come out fairly close to breaking even in the end.

Last edited:
Get the tires installed at SAMS so you get the road hazzard and free rotation and balancing. Ask them for your old tires back and sell them.

Your "free" installation you are seeking at the dealership is at the cost of a relatively inexpensive service plan on the tires.

You "save" $60, but then have to pay for any tire damage, flat repairs, rotations, etc.

Just drive the car to Sams and get the tires you want, installed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back