Intake Manifold Gaskets: Motorcraft vs. Fel Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Let me preface this by saying this is more of curiosity on my part; I just changed my plugs, and I've already replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

I ordered the Motorcraft gaskets from my local dealer, who sells parts on-line for cheap. Since I was picking up a motor mount to replace at the same time, I just got the gaskets from them. The issue isn't my dealer's pricing--they were cheaper than anywhere I've see--it was just the cost of the gaskets.

Here's the different between the OEM and the Fel Pro: http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1616+4294962629+10393+4294967203+2326

$96.00 versus $17.00?? Yikes! (I got them for $7x.00 from the dealer, but this page has all of the options listed on one page. Note, the Motocraft gaskets are prices 'each'.).

My experience with other Motorcraft parts is that the prices are pretty reasonable, so what gives? Are the Fel Pro gaskets really inferior?

Given the labor involved in any gasket, I was just more comfortable using the OEM gaskets from the dealer. I wouldn't want to do this job twice trying to save a couple bucks, but I'm still wondering.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Im putting FelPro set on a GM 3.4L and it is all good quality stuff. Equal to or better than what came out.

Making gaskets better than the ones found in a GM 3.4L isn't hard to do. I always use Fel-Pro there because of how badly GM built those gaskets.

However, how good are Fel-Pro gaskets compared to the 2005 Ford gaskets?

Felpro is high quality stuff...

they're known for removing OE defects and almost always improving the design.
Unlike OEM parts, if the online store buys like an enormous amount of felpro, then they can get a better price.
the price for the online store is selling it for is very good.

a lot of OEM parts are usually overpriced anyway.

You may want to check if GM released a new gasket for these motors.
Earlier this year i had just put the lower manifold on a GenII 3800 using Fel Pro when i read GM had new gaskets,i looked at them at the local dealer came back and swapped the Fel Pros out.

The new GM gaskets are aluminum with a different sealing material,it seems they have been developing these new gaskets for some time.From what i hear from friends at the dealers they are working out very well in long term test that were done by GM.

I don't have any idea how long it will take the aftermarket to adopt the new design,cost is about $70.

thanks for all of the responses. I was really hoping for something like 'man, you're SOOOO smart for buying those expensive Motorcraft gaskets, those cheap Fel Pros would have destroyed your engine'

Oh well, live and learn. I'll give those a go next time I'm changing plugs.

I have run into a few instances like that before myself. I was always tempted to buy both & see if there were any apparent differences (fit, finish, materials of construction, etc.). If not, I would return the more expensive. However, that's not always possible or cost effective.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You may want to check if GM released a new gasket for these motors.
Earlier this year i had just put the lower manifold on a GenII 3800 using Fel Pro when i read GM had new gaskets,i looked at them at the local dealer came back and swapped the Fel Pros out.

The new GM gaskets are aluminum with a different sealing material,it seems they have been developing these new gaskets for some time.From what i hear from friends at the dealers they are working out very well in long term test that were done by GM.

I don't have any idea how long it will take the aftermarket to adopt the new design,cost is about $70.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if GM buys these from the aftermarket and GM just puts their logo and part number on them.......

I don't think GM or any other manufacturer would depend on the aftermarket to re engineer a gasket for a known issue then buy it from them.That being said i guess if the aftermarket did detect a flaw in some original part design and correct it they could well adopt it.
GM probably did the engineering and testing then have one of their parts suppliers manufacture it.In The case of GM that would probably be Delphi.

Fel Pros usually are an upgrade.
With your problematic gaskets, new innovations could go either way [Ford or Fel Pro].
Can you take a look and see the quality/construction and use your best judgement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back