Good Initial Results: 75W90 in Ford Tractor Trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long while back I posted my pondering as to whether installing a synthetic 75W90 G4/G5 gear oil in a Ford 2810 tractor transmission (which is separate from the hydraulics) would be advisable/beneficial. The originally spec'ed oil was around an 85 Grade gear oil. The consensus was that it would do no harm but the results were unknown.

Well, in servicing the tractor this fall, I installed one gallon of older Amsoil 75W90 (the formulation previous to the current Severe Gear) and 2.5 gallons of RP 75W90 Max Gear. I had these laying around.

The improvement in shift quality is notable... remarkable in fact. It's shifts are now as slick as oiled spaghetti! Relatively speaking, of course. I've been operating the tractor thus far in temps as low as the 40s. This is my winter tractor, so we' see how it does closer towards zero.

FWIW, my observations.

You just put the Hatfield and McCoys in your gear box. Let the feud begin.
grin2.gif

So far, they seem to be playing together nicely. I didn't have quite enough RP for the job and I only had a gallon of Amsoil... I made it a shotgun wedding! ( : < )

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You just put the Hatfield and McCoys in your gear box. Let the feud begin.
grin2.gif

As a distant cousin of 'Devil' Anse Hatfield, I gotta ask: Are you suggesting that the Hatfields are the equivalent of Amsoil? Or are they more akin to RP?

You better git it right, yahkee.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back