Need advice changing ATF in my Isuzu truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i'm new to this forum and need some advice

Next weekend i planned to change the filter and fluid on my 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2, 2wd, 4L30E transmission

I'm a big fan of Redline products and used MT-90 and their motor oil on my other cars and always wanted to try Amsoil but at this moment the cost of this 2 are prohibitive due to my financial situation.

I thought about trying to drain as much as i can change filter and refill with Valvoline Maxlife then maybe in 3k-4k miles drain and refill and maybe repeat after 5k-6k miles repeat.

This transmission are very well know in the Isuzu community to cause problems specially the overdrive which uses a separate pan.

Need advise or recommendations.

Last edited:
Maxlife is a good choice.

Drain, refill, repeat...... is easy and should help you prolong the life of the transmission. Drain/refill yearly or every 10k-15k.

If the tranny runs hot, add an additional cooler.
If budget allows, add an inline filter like the magnafine, permacool, or equivalents.

With a 15 year old transmission, with unknown maintenance history, the damage is already done. The goal now is to keep it running the way it is. Fluid changes now won't rebuild it.

Originally Posted By: Maximus_pr
This transmission are very well know in the Isuzu community to cause problems specially the overdrive which uses a separate pan.

Yup. My father's 93 Isuzu Trooper's (had since new) tranny had a very short life... only lasted 60 or 70K miles (9 years). Tranny started slipping and eventually wouldn't shift anymore.

Too bad I didn't know much about cars back then. Otherwise I could have tried to save it.

Last edited:
i had a 2000 rodes with the 4l30E and i used (changed) mercon/dextron III every 10,000 miles. the good thing about the fluid is alot of multi-vehicle fluids will work also and be an upgrade.

make sure you change the filter in the main pan because it is a media filter!

the only problem i had with mine was the range sensor (nss) switch.

also i used a pump to fill the trans because by 2000 the 4l30e was a "sealed" unit with "life time fluid" yeah right!! the life time fluid is merc/dexIII lol. but i believe in 96 it still had a dipstick? mike

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i believe in 96 it still had a dipstick? mike

no dipstick

and thanks for your advise guy

Yep, I had a 2002 Rodeo and serviced another Rodeo and Trooper 4L30E in the family. At the time I used any generic Dex/Merc ATF and had no issues. Today I'd use Maxlife. I definitely don't miss the dipstickless 4L30E w/ 2 downward facing plugs on the pan for servicing. Whadda PITA.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back