Oil Blotter Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago Doug Hillary explained to me how the oil blotter test works and I have found it intriging. Per his advise I found this so I thought I would pass this along for those interested. Yesterday I tested the Focus with 5400 miles and it teated nearly clear. Here's the link.

http://www.acustrip.com/specs/onedrop.html

I used the back side of a white business card. It takes a little longer to absorb on the card than other materials but gives a good permanent backing to keep for future referance. Dating, mileage etc.

Hi,
tig1 - I'm pleased to see the use of the simple and cheap blotter test. I commenced using it with diesels in the 1960s - a great indicator of fuel dilution and soot content

It is wise perhaps to use a non impregnated tissue or papaer towel and the VO as a baseline. Speed of absorbtion is vital in detecting the presence of fuel

Thanks for again raising this simple and cheap oil condition testing tool

Originally Posted By: tig1
Some time ago Doug Hillary explained to me how the oil blotter test works and I have found it intriging. Per his advise I found this so I thought I would pass this along for those interested. Yesterday I tested the Focus with 5400 miles and it teated nearly clear. Here's the link.

Here is the same test when viewed through the patented BITOG Intelliglasses:
Presentation2.jpg

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: tig1

Here is the same test when viewed through the patented BITOG Intelliglasses:
Presentation2.jpg

The last sample, with the high iron number, can I assume the oil is Mobil 1 ? lol j/k.

I would use a labratory filter paper or chromatgraph paper. Use the right solvent and you can seen the various wear metals show up as different colors onthe paper. As much stuff though as in oil it might be hard to see the different colors as they would over lap.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I would use a labratory filter paper or chromatgraph paper. Use the right solvent and you can seen the various wear metals show up as different colors onthe paper. As much stuff though as in oil it might be hard to see the different colors as they would over lap.

Thin plate, er, paper chromatography! Ah, the good ole' days!
lol.gif

So this is a chromatography of sorts. What is it separating the mixture by size, charge or polarity? I'm thinking maybe it's based on size, the smaller fuel molecules and sheared down hydrocarbons travel faster through the media than the larger oil molecules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back