New old mower

That is one neat machine. Never seen anything like it.

You should be able to tie a skate board behind it and let it drag you around. The picture looks like it's a '60s era machine. Sure does seem to attract women though... Yeah baby! GRASS CUTTIN' WOMEN!!!

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
The engine looks awful shrouded for summer use.

Engine looks fine. It has a cooling fan under the cowling so you want the shrouding for proper cooling.

Looks just like the 5hp B&S I had on my go kart when I was a kid. Took a small gas engines class in high school and took that engine in and resealed the crank case. Frame snapped soon after that and I sold it to someone that could weld.

I have a beefed up version of this mower which was made in the 50's. Has a cast iron Lausen engine.The deck is almost a quarter inch thick. I would post a picture of it if I knew how to.

Last edited:
The engine looks to be a fairly newer Briggs, judging from the muffler, fuel cap, air box and choke/throttle assembly. I have a similar 18 inch Bunton push mower from the late sixties with the caster front wheel that locks in the straight line position. Yours is really clean and well kept.

Well my old 1987 Toro mower was on its last leg so I started shopping for a new mower. I was not really impressed with what I found in the marketplace and most of the the quality machines were $500+.
Then I found this 200 dollar dinosaur on Craigslist. Its a Kee and is built like a tank and I have no idea how old it is but the 5 hp Briggs runs great.
grin2.gif

682036536_9FAGF-L.jpg

682035858_3kmUj-L.jpg
Is there any chance you still have the Kee push mower? My wife's biological grandfather was Mr. Kee and we have been trying to find one just like the one you posted pictures of. Would love to find one for her. Thanks for any help.

Is there any chance you still have the Kee push mower? My wife's biological grandfather was Mr. Kee and we have been trying to find one just like the one you posted pictures of. Would love to find one for her. Thanks for any help.

Hi and it's interesting that you brought this thread back up. So your wife's family is from Bradenton?

Unfortunately, for the sake of this thread and the mower but not for me, I recently retired and moved from Florida to Vermont and the Kee mower was one of the things that we had to sell.

Kee mowers were built in Samoset between Sarasota and Bradenton for many years. The were heavy duty and the local municipalities bought and used them extensively back in the 70's and 80's. At some point the company fell on hard times and were sold to a northern conglomerate that changed the design and basically killed the brand.

There are still a few Kees out there and if you watch the Sarasota area CL or FB you can still find a nice one now and then. Good luck with your search.

Not bad.

Dont let OSHA see it, I'm sure it wont pass any OSHA safety requirements.

Run it!

I'm riding a 46 year old motorcycle because it has a sole not like this no sole mordern eq.

Enjoy it.

Just count your toes,and fingers

Convert

Tom

Back