Storing a bike outside throughout the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an old '78 CB400A in pretty nice condition, but I just don't have the room anymore to store it in my garage. That said, I have a covered patio which will keep it out of the elements come winter time, with the exception being cold air. Now I do live in an area that sees consistent freezing temps from about mid-November until March, not to mention lots of snow (100+ inches last winter). Besides keeping the battery on a trickle charger in the garage and keeping the bike covered, is there anything else I should look out for? Also, my bike is very cold-blooded when it comes to starts, even in the heat of August; should I worry about firing her up once a month throughout the winter? Or should I just let it go and do routine maintenance come spring (oil/filter)?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Use your favorite fluid to fog the cylinders, use it again to coat the suspension pieces (prevents corrosion) and start it in the spring. I'd drain the gas out of the tank and run it dry myself. This has worked for me for years I just started my generator after 3 years of sitting unused.

I'd change the oil and filter before putting it away.
That's usually the best method; gets any acids out of the oil sump before it can do any damage.
Hard starting/cold natured is usually a carb issue.
Richer jets in the low speed circuit helps a lot.

As long as there isn't constant dampness or exposure to rain, the bike should be alright. I'd put it on it's center stand to get as much weight off the wheels as possible. I'd spray it down with a light mist of WD-40 to minimize corrosion. I'd leave fuel tank right full with a couple ounces of SeaFoam in it to stabilize it. A full tank will minimize condensation. As you have said, take out the battery.

I have eight motorcycles, two ATVs, four outboard motors, two lawn tractors with V twin engines and numerous other machines that are stored over winter in a very cold climate. I never fog the cylinders. Just way too many to do. I've never had any issues by not doing it either. If you live a damp climate, I'd fog the engine. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Another thing I don't do is periodically start the engines while in storage. Why would I? All that does is initiate an unnecessary cold start. Just leave it until you're ready to use it.

Be careful how you cover it. Allow for ample ventilation. Don't seal it up and trap moisture inside. Draining the gas tank and running the carb dry, plus draining the bowl is smart. Automatic trickle charger is good, and check the electrolyte level before and after winter. Your cold area should be pretty dry, so you don't have the rust worries that a coastal resident would have. 303 Protectant on the vinyl, rubber, and plastic parts is always good.

If you don't have fogging oil which is available at AAP, you can remove the spark plug and put a few spoonfuls in there and turn it over a few times without starting it. Whether or not you put the sparkplug in before or after oiling the cylinder is not sure as Im just quoting my bike's owner's manual.

Get the tires off the concrete and air them up.

Running the carb dry isn't good enough, you need to drain the carb, should be a screw on the bottom of the bowl. AS for me, turn the fuel to off, drain the carb, then fill it to the brim with some stabil in there.

Oil your cables and any exposed metal (cept rotors) specifically oil your chain real well, if you got a chain. Im not familiar with older bikes.

Wash and wax the paint. If you don't have a battery tender you can put on a charger once a month,-6 weeks- or every three months at least to avoid buying a new one come spring. Fresh oi in the sump and all you'll need to do is check tire pressures, turn fuel on, and install battery and crank it up.

My motorcycle lives in a covered, unheated shed in upstate NY, so it gets cold out there in the winter. I fill a 5-gallon jug with fresh gas and the proper mixture of Sta-Bil for winter storage, then I run that in the cycle for the last tank or two of the season, topping off the motorcycle tank completely at storage time. I think you basically double the Sta-Bil mixture for long-term storage, which I do (read the bottle). Change the engine oil and filter and run for a few minutes to circulate the new oil well. Turn off engine. Turn off the gas tap. I now also add 1 oz. of TCW-3 2-stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas for upper cylinder lubrication and some corrosion protection inside the gas tank. I've been winterizing outboards and boat engines like this for years (except with 50:1 on the TCW-3 for the outboards) with better results than draining off all the gas. Carbs seem to gum up less with the Sta-Bil gas than when empty. Lube the chain well--probably more than you would normally. A general cleaning is nice to get grease, road grime, bugs, etc. off before they become permanent. It's nice to generally lube up things like the clutch cable. Put on center stand to get weight off the tires. Cover with a nylon cover that has some air circulation. I leave the AGM battery in the cycle, but charge it up every month or two, which it doesn't seem to need. My understanding is that it is better not to trickle charge AGM batteries all the time as it shortens their life. AGMs have very low discharge rates so are fine all winter. The cycle is ready to go if I feel like a spin in February on a nice day.

Never stored one outside. I used to winterize years ago but quit. I have chosen to ride instead once a moth or so when it gets up to 40 or so and the bikes like that much more than sotrage. But I would change the oil, put in some fuel stabilizer, ride a good 30 minutes, top off the tank, turn off the fuel and burn the carb out, pull the battery and put it inside (trickle once a month or so for a couple of hours), keep the bike out of the sun to avoid temp excursions, and prep it in spring. Basically the same as I used to do with the bike in the garage with no riding. The bike will probably not be that happy in the spring. The big thing is not to gum up your carbs with bad fuel. All else it will probably overcome after a week or so.

Just want to say "thanks!" to everyone for the suggestions and tips. After a little re-evaluation, I'm thinking it might take less effort to rearrange some things in the garage and tuck the bike away there. While it's not ideal, it'll stay clean and warm...plus it won't require a major detailing job next spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back