Racing fuel for small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New law in Oregon says gas has to be 10% ethanol year round, no exceptions.
smirk2.gif
It works, but I don't like it in my collection of various small engines.

Somebody very close to me sells race gas, $7.75/gallon
shocked2.gif
, for Sunoco 112 octane racing fuel. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to use this in my small engines instead of the pee they sell at the gas station? Obviously they don't need the high octane at 6-8:1 compression. How would the performance compare to 87 octane, 100% gasoline? I would use it in everything from lawnmower to chainsaw, 2 cycle, 4 cycle, flat head, OHV, OHC, etc....

Also, if I bought some I'd want it to last around 1 year. Obviously I would use stabilizer and I think race gas is a lot more stable than what you find at the pump. Also when gas starts to go bad I know it loses octane fast, but I'd be starting at 112. Would it still be better than 10% ethanol gas after it's a year old?

Small engines are made to run on pee. I have run my Honda quad for 3 years on the same tank of gas without any problems .The quad was run about half an hour a year when spraying weeds. Just replace the rubber parts as needed.

Go to the hardware store in the paint section and buy:
toluene, xylene, acetone. add a little non-det oil and mix. You can use coleman white gas in the mix too. Let me know how well this works ...;)

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Got a small airport close by? Go by and get some low lead aviation gasoline. That will do the trick.

Actually my shop is at the end of the runway, LOL. It's a tiny local airport though and I don't think they have pumps, they might have a truck that comes around. I have no idea who to contact or what really goes on around there, it's basically "unmanned". Maybe I should look up their numer and ask...

100LL Avgas is an excellent fuel for small engines. However, it might not be the ultimate race fuel for extreme RPM engines.

It works very well with 4 stroke lawn equipment, 2 stroke weed wackers and other low RPM utility engines. One thing to keep in mind is Avgas lasts a very long time, often 5 years or more. So, it is great in seasonal eqpt.

Chris

I remember when regular gas was like $1.50/gal aircraft grade was $3.xx/gal. This was per a guy a knew in south Texas that had a V10 Dodge. I can't give an exact figure, but be prepared for a little sticker shock. Of course, how much do you really use in OPE? May as well run the best. Your talking about an extra $10/year to have fuel lines that don't rot and gas that doesn't rust the tank. Cheap insurance, IMO.

The local Avgas price is 3.44 at the cheap airport. $3.99 at the "fly in" to eat airports on the weekend, and $5.99 at the full service rip off FBO's.

www.100ll.com is a good source for Avgas prices.

I have had some in my shed for many years. It still works well in my stuff.

I find that both my Kawasaki powered push mower and my Tecumseh powered homemade brush hog run way better on Avgas then they do on auto gas. I guess those engines are jetted a touch lean and modern car gas with alcohol pushes those two over the edge.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
www.100ll.com is a good source for Avgas prices.

Holy carp! They actually have the airport behind me listed with self serve pumps...$4.15/gallon for 100LL! I'll have to go over there and wander around to see if I can find the pumps LOL...

I just bought about 20 gallons of 100LL here in Minnesota for to use for [REDACTED]. $3.80 a gallon, self-service.

100LL is great stuff, but you'll usually need to richen the mixture 1 or 2% as it is a bit less dense than normal non-alcohol unleaded. It might work just as well if you don't, but you might get high cylinder head temps.

Enjoy the smell.

in Wichita ks i found a speed shop that sells methanol for $2.75 a gal. if you run it straight you'll have to richen up the fuel, a lot. the methanol takes about 2 times as much as gasoline. and if you wanted to get wild raise the compression would raise hp. also methanol is dryer than gasoline.

Racing fuel and small engines don't mix from my experiences. We burned up a lawnmower and generator running that in them. I'm guessing my familys not the only ones that have had that experience though. Seems like every week or two someone needs gas for their generator at the track and will ask around to see if anyone has pump gas before they chance running racing fuel.

It can run too rich just bogging you out. Depends on the set up. I've ran it in my stock 250cc 2-stroke ATV and made a HUGE difference in power. Worked out well, surprisingly. (110 octane)

Ran it in a 5hp go-kart and it wouldn't even move out of its own way.

Originally Posted By: morris
in Wichita ks i found a speed shop that sells methanol for $2.75 a gal. if you run it straight you'll have to richen up the fuel, a lot. the methanol takes about 2 times as much as gasoline. and if you wanted to get wild raise the compression would raise hp. also methanol is dryer than gasoline.

If you try methanol in a small engine you would have to completely rebuild the engine for compression and replace the carburetor with one that won't melt on methanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back