Detergents, Ashless detergents and a wealth of inf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
jmac - Thank you for accessing this for all to see

I find it interesting that the Germans touched these areas in the late 1930s and early 1940s for one (mostly) particular reason - supply!

During the 1960s and early 1970s it was touched again but the emerging technologies of the time did not match the need. It is amazing how they may eventually merge

It is not unlike hydrogen as a power source. I touched this with MB at a Group Meeting of Development Engineers (heavy Vehicles) at Unterturkheim in the very early 1970s. It was alluded to then that the price of crude was the driver and how other fuel sources would eventually find a price as crude became more costly or geographically senesitive to obtain. They foresaw then a diesel engine and electronics development window of at least 25 years!

Time never stands still

I think you might be referring to the part in the EM claim that these are a new class of detergents, where we can see they have been developed in the past from the '30s forward. This patent seems to take a rather broad scope!

I find it interesting that at one point in the text an interaction between the succinimides and ZDTP is noted but the result is not described. In the EM claim, the interaction is observed as possibly synergistic or beneficial.

It doesn't specify which detergent system current EM lube oils use - phenate, sulfonate, salicylate or what; I'm intensely curious.

Charlie

You could work back wards with a sample and determine that in an average Graduate class setting in Chemistry. It is well beyound the scope of this web site though. Each type of additive system could be pulled apart and based on what you use to seperate it and how much of each individual product you are able to filter and collect would tell you what they started with by default. It would be time consumeing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back