So the engine is burning oil......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old Honda three wheeler that runs well, but burns oil. I run 15w40 and its not so bad. I want to use it for another year or two at most while saving for a new 4 wheeler.

I have a quart of 100W shell avation oil. I was thinking about using that. Any reason I shouldn't?

So you have an old Honda that burns oil. Just us the 15W40 for two years and be done with it. Or ride it for ever like it is. The Shell Aviation is not the answer I don't think. I had a Big Red 200 cc back in the 80s. It was fun. Ride and enjoy.

As long as you aren't trying to start it up in 20 degree temps, I would try 20w50 if I were you.

Yeah and make it a dino...not synthetic. Try Yellow Bottle Pennzoil....standard 20w50. I ran that in a couple of thumpers and it seemed really good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
I wouldn't use anything heavier than 50 weight.

100 weight? That's gear oil numbers, dang

Gear oil and engine oil use different numbers. A 10W-40 engine oil and a 75W-90 gear oil are basically the same viscosity.

Aviation oils do not contain ZDDP, an excellent anti wear additive. This is because ZDDP can cause deposits in the combustion chamber in aircraft engines, leading to detonation.

Aviation oil is a very poor choice for anything but aircraft. Remember that Aeroshell 100 is 50 viscosity oil.

If you are going to try a thick oil, choose a 50W or even a 60W available at the local auto parts store.

Otherwise, change the rings and hone the cylinder. You can probably do it for $50.

Why don't you just rebuild the top end? It is easy and cheap to do and then it would run another 20 years. Or you could keep trying every "snake oil" remedy you hear about.

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for input on that Avation oil. I'll just pick up some 50W and be done with it. Maybe the smoke will decrease a little.

Being down in New Orleans eliminates the problem of cold starting for the most part. 15W-40 oil is a popular and very high quality oil for reasonable cost.

I had an old Ford V8 that used a 1/2 quart while commuting 400 miles per week. The answer was to change from 10W-30 to 10W-40. The primary loss of oil was due to blow-by and the 40W cut it to a couple ounces per week.

Using some 20W-50 may be the cure. You might try combining a 20W-50 with the 15W-40 at first. The net oil of 17.5W-45 may be all the thickness you need.

Several older v-twin motorcycles used to use straight 60W and it is available if it gets to that point, however I would stay with the multiple viscosity for the detergent effect as long as possible. Try a 17.5W-45 mix and see if your oil loss diminishes. I'm betting it will make a difference without reducing the performance.

Old-timers would use STP oil treatment, which is a "pour-point depressant" and ZDDP anti-wear compound. I cannot recommend a quantity to use because the size of the sump must be taken into account. You'll have to read the back of the product and take sump size into consideration. I would expect you would use only 1/2 a can at the most. STP Oil Treatment is pretty thick and works well to prevent blow-by from worn piston rings and valve stems. Many commuters use it to advantage in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back