Everstart or Car Quest battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it narrowed down to an Everstart (johnson Controls) or Car Quest (East Penn-DEKA) battery. Which would you go with?

Everstart from Johnson Controls is my choice, specially if you buy it from WM because you can have it serviced almost anywhere you go when you travel.

Everstart, Because JCI batteries are the Best. Plus you can't beat WM's warranty. I just bought a MAXX-65N for my van. $75 Bucks, and 3 year FREE replacement. 9 years total warranty.
And your can get service anywhere.
It's a WIN/WIN.

Just out of curiosity, Any other brands under Johnson Controls I should consider when buying a new battery? I have a feeling I may be in the market for one soon. I don't know much about batteries other than I've had good luck with AC Delco's, but not paying the premium from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Just out of curiosity, Any other brands under Johnson Controls I should consider when buying a new battery? I have a feeling I may be in the market for one soon. I don't know much about batteries other than I've had good luck with AC Delco's, but not paying the premium from the dealer.

Depends on what you want to pay.

I have no choice for the cobalt, it's going to be a East penn/Deka battery, or I am going to pay out the nose for it. Cheapest battery for it is a Deka, either SureStart (O'reily's) or Partsmaster (auto value ) for 90 bucks.

My Cav runs a 75 series battery, and I'm very easy on the car, so there is a good chance that it will be a Everstart batttery...

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Walmart has a johnson GM battery for 47 dollars for a 1 year replacement, and 64 dollars for a 3 year replacement.

Here where I live in WalMart they sell Energizer and Optima batteries.. I can't recall any other brands but those for sure. Put an Energizer in my fathers' Maxima 2 years ago.

AutoZone Duralast batteries. I think they are made by Johnson Controls as well. I got their gold series at a reasonable price and a good warranty 8 years prorated, 3 years free replacement. AZ stores are everywhere.

Everstart Maxx (Johnson Control)= Junk.

Of the three purchased, one by myself and two by friends, all three have failed within a year.

I would much rather have a DEKA battery.

I've had better luck with the JCI batteries than the East Penn/Deka ones myself.

All three of my cars have what is likely the same at the Everstart MAXX, an ACDelco 75-7YR. Two of which are over a yr. old now. CCA-wise for sure they are the same.

I would have actually bought the MAXX or Duralast if I didn't have a hookup to get ACDelcos for about the same $, but with the better warranty.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Walmart has a johnson GM battery for 47 dollars for a 1 year replacement, and 64 dollars for a 3 year replacement.

Here where I live in WalMart they sell Energizer and Optima batteries.. I can't recall any other brands but those for sure. Put an Energizer in my fathers' Maxima 2 years ago.

Ok I see you are in London, ON. In Canada, walmart only carries energizer and optima. Both are made by Johnson Control. So I would probably go the energizer route. The optima is a good battery, but for a regular vehicle, I don't see a need for the sprial cell technology. The cost is too high.
On a side note have you ever visited Dave's Farm in Lucan ?
His video's are awesome. I'd love to visit some day.

Everstarts are highly rated by Consumer's Digest - a best buy.
This is not Gospel truth, but shows they are not the lowest.
I have one in a car of my own right now.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

How old is it? would you buy another?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Then I don't know how I can explain three defective batteries, from three different batches, in different cars over the course of about 12 months.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Then I don't know how I can explain three defective batteries, from three different batches, in different cars over the course of about 12 months.

You said three different batches, were they bought at different stores?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

You said three different batches, were they bought at different stores?

Yes.

WOW, that does not bode well for the everstart IMO. I was leaning toward the Deka anyway, so I will likely just go with that.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm not sure who built the Everstart batteries between 1997 and 2000, but they were awful.

2 of them exploded under the hood of my dad's Honda Accord.

Buy a Carquest/DEKA and enjoy the long life it gives you.

Everstart Maxx (Johnson Control)= Junk.

Of the three purchased, one by myself and two by friends, all three have failed within a year.

I would much rather have a DEKA battery.

Critic is right. Everyone stop drinking the JC battery kool aid. JC batteries are good, not from walmart! Get a Duralast. I got 7 years out of a regular duralast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back