Which Oil Extractor to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sick and bored at home so did some research and wanted to share:
My brother in law owns a Mercedes C230 and is due for an oil change soon. Oil change at the dealer is $200+ (which he's done in the past). Plus there are 4 other cars in the family. Oil extractor will be a good investment!

Narrowed it down to a few.

1. Mityvac 7201 (8.8 liter) Fluid Evacuator Plus (Approx $71)
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid...4749&sr=1-1
Pros: Pumps in and out! Large Capacity
Cons: bulky, too many parts = increase chance of problems in the future

2. Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator (Approx $58)
http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter...4925&sr=1-1
Pros: Cheaper, less parts, used by many
Cons: bulky, No pump out feature

3. Pela Oil Extractor, 6 liter (Approx $65)
http://www.amazon.com/Pela-Oil-Extractor...5110&sr=1-1
Pros: less bulky, many people recommend
Cons: 6L cap (good enough for oil changes, but not tranny exchanges if ever decide to go that way)

4. Unlimited Gallon Oil Fluid Suction Pump Extractor &Tube (Approx $56)
http://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-Gallon-F...5273&sr=1-1
Pros: pretty cool gadget! (show off to your friends), pump right into disposal container, unlimited capacity, fairly competitively priced
Cons: electrical = future problems/battery drain, No reviews from past users

I'm leaning towards the Mityvac 7400. Best bang for the buck, less chance of problems, decent capacity.

Chime in with any advice/comments or recommendations.

basspro has some i think...maybe cabelas too? check their websites

some come in 12volt & some manual pump...very popular for marine engines

Most MB sumps are about 8-8.5 quarts. I have Mityvac 7201 for more than 5 years and used it for my 3 cars and my brother in-law use it for his 2 cars.

We had no problems until last time I used it 3 weeks ago, it did not seal well such that I had to keep pumping to extract the oil from the engine or to pump out old oil. I removed the black top from the white container to super-clue it then screwed it back.

Even if it totally broke now, we use it more than 40-50 times for $70 for the cost of about $1.2 each use, it sure beats the cost of having oil change at dealer.

If I need to buy another Oil Extractor to replace this one, I would buy Mityvac 7201 again.

The 7400 does the job, assuming the capacity is large enough for you. They only negative I can think of is that it takes kind of long and a lot of pumping to get the oil out. Not sure if the 7201 is any faster in that respect.

I would buy a wrench or a set of metric wrench's from Walmart,Sears,How Depot, Lows etc.......... You can probably spend less then $30 on a decent Stanely metric wrench set at Walmart and use it to change oil on anything that is metric! You will never wear them out doing oil changes!

HTSS_TR
Thanks for the input on the 7201. If you've had such good luck with it, I think I'll get that over the 7400.

My bro in law is the pusher for this (he's actually gonna pay for it too! haha). It's mostly to use on his car, but I will try it out on the rest of our fleet. May/may not work as well in the Chryslers/Jeep.

I do oil changes the old fashioned way all the time from underneath and of course you have to go under anyways to get to the oil filters.

For standard oil change you need to remove splash shield and re-install it after done, that take a long time.

With oil extractor you can change oil and filter in a Mercedes (and BMW and Audi ...) while standing up. The convenience is worth the initial cost of $70, IMO.

I have a similar oil extractor and if I was going to buy again..
I'd get something electric.. 120 or 12volt

(I got it for front diff. gear oil changes and such.

I'm not dropping an axle to get the front cover off... sigh

Last edited:
I have the Mity 7400. I have not used it for changing oil but use it regularly for trans fluid and power steering fluid extraction. I think it works very well. Make sure to have the fluid warn first as it comes out much faster.

Stay away from the Pela 6000. I have one. The hand pump just pushes onto a grommet on the tank top which is the vacuum valve's grommet. Just pushes on, not secured in anyway other than your other hand holding it in place. Cheapo deluxe.

I recently got a Pela 650 and used it for the first time on my lawn mower. Easy to pump,got more oil out than I used to get out by tipping,takes 5 minutes 'cause you don't have to wait for the oil to drain. The 650 has the quarts marked on it so you can see just how much fluid you removed. It was kinda fun.

Cheaper source for the PELA 6000:

http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapplications.html

I bought mine from them two or three years ago. I think it was less than $40 then.

I've been happy with it -- it has worked just fine for my basic needs. And since I can access the oil filter without crawling under the car it has really simplified things.

I do like the MityVac but the PELA was cheaper and has met my needs just fine.

I would go with one that can extract and pump. It is amazing how many times I use the pump feature and when I purchased it I thought I never would.

Maybe overkill but nice to have that ability should the need arise and it probably will

After several years of good service from a Pela 6000, I left it in an unheated garage and it would no longer hold a vacuum. I had heard good things about the Mityvac, so I splurged on a MV7400.

Initially I was very pleased, as it worked even easier than the Pela.

But when I went to change my oil last weekend, there was a major leak at the top of the shaft where the handle is attached. It made a huge mess, and I could tell that there was nothing I could do to fix it.

So after only a couple uses, the Mityvac went in the trash. And I've ordered another Pela 6000.

Are extractors BITOG approved?
smile.gif

I have heard a lot of people argue against using them over the years. I even looked at buying an oil change franchise once and one of their selling points was they refuse to use extractors.

My limited personal experience with extractors has been positive, however. I borrowed a hand-pumped one from a friend once that he got from Griot's. You know how when you pull the drain plug your car will continue to drip seemingly forever? Well I tried an experiment. I used the Griot's hand pump siphon and when it was done I pulled the drain plug. NOT ONE drop of oil came out. This led me to believe using an extractor was a superior (and faster) way to go. That said, I never did buy one.

Any thoughts on extractors vs. the old-fashioned way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back