Wal-Mart brand Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does WM brand Mercon V stack up against other name brands of Mercon V? At $3.77 a quart thats almost $1.50-$2.00 a quart cheaper then most name brands.I usually use Motorcraft or Castrol but if WM brand meets or exceeds Ford specs I will use it.

I recently purchased some of the semi-sym mercon 5 atf from wal mart and cannot see anythign wrong with it. My application is for th epower steering in my focus, so I know it hould easily exceed the reqirement for my application esp. since so many of the other WM brand oils have performed admirably

Funny, that's ALL my local WM carries is ST brand ATF. All they had was 3 types; Type F, Dex/Merc and ATF +4. All were $3.77/qt. I originally grabbed the whole 6qts of +4 they had for my Hyundai, but got spooked by the lack of any "SP-III" wording on the bottle and put them back. Bottle does say "For certain Hyundai and Mitsubishi models" along w/ the Chrysler specs, etc.

Joel

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Somebody said that they had Dex VI syn...never seen that, though...

I hear that. My only reason for going to my local WM is for their automotive dept. It's turning out to be not worth it.

Joel

Don't know how it stacks up yet.. just put in our Escape last weekend. I'll tell you don't let any get on your clothes the worst smelling ATF I've ever used!

The ST Mercon V states that it's 'suitable' for Honda Z-1 applications. The ST 'multi vehicle' formula doesn't specifically mention Z-1 but says its suitable for 'virtually every A/T made since 1984' (something like that). Has anyone used the Mercon V in a Honda and what did you think?

I just changed the trans fliud in my Ridgeline 2 days ago with ST Mercon 5 and cant tell any difference in shift quality. The back of the bottle says its a semi synthetic and Z1 compliant. I think its gonna be fine.

It should be perfectly fine since it says Mercon V on the bottle.

I have only used it in my PS pump, but it has worked very well. My truck has 84K on the original PS pump and it makes no noise at all. The only reason I haven't used it in the trans is because the trans only gets full synthetic.

If this (ST Mercon V) is a semi-synthetic fluid and it is approved for Honda Z-1 apps it should be better than Z-1 which isn't semi-syn or syn?

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Don't know how it stacks up yet.. just put in our Escape last weekend. I'll tell you don't let any get on your clothes the worst smelling ATF I've ever used!

Amen to that!

Yesterday I did a flush on the corolla's steering. I used some plain jane ATF I got from wal mart, and it didnt' smell bad at all.

Then I went back and smelled the semi-syn ATF and boy is that stuff putrid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back