Bike Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do motorcylce batteries really suck in the cold weather......it is +6c and my new battery is having a trying time starting my bike.......
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr- any recommendations for a new one ?

Most have cca of 180 at 32 f. If you have thick oil, it might turn over hard. Yuasa batteries will have as much as 200 cca. A co-worker bought a "batteries plus" battery, and it failed after 1 year. I would stay away from that one.

They make some more powerful ones that you can find up to 220 CC which may help. I think the company is called Xtreme or something like that.

Do you have a trickle/smart charger? I like to put a Battery Tender Jr on my bikes when I am not riding. I get 5-6 years out of a cheap battery that way. Even the Batteries Plus battery mentioned above last me a long time.

AGM's dont like to discharged. Wont last long with a deep cycle put through them some will be ruined after one deep cycle period even.

Last edited:
Check the electrolyte level in your battery. If you've been using your bike all summer and not topped off the electrolyte, it could be low. My KLR650 cooks off quite a bit in just a couple months of operation.

I've had good success with motorcycle batteries. It's not unusual for me to get 8 years out them. I use regular lead acid batteries, do maintenance on them spring and fall and during winter months, have them connected to 5 watt solar panels at my camp.

I have six small batteries and two deep cycle batteries out there connected to three solar panels. When I go out in the spring, all batteries are charged and ready to go. I have one large battery hooked up to my diesel power plant. It's going on 24 years old! Bought it in 1986.

I have five small batteries in town that I top off in the fall and charge every couple of months. Contrary to battery advertisement claims, batteries are not maintenance free.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Contrary to battery advertisement claims, batteries are not maintenance free.

Assuming they are wet flooded types and not AGM.
wink.gif

I've had poor luck with wet-cell motorcycle batteries as they don't have much space for electrolyte. Unless you check them often it is easy to boil off liquid, ruining the battery, which I have done often. On my Kwacky 500 the battery is so buried it is something like a 15-minute operation to get to the battery, fill up, and put everything back together. I didn't do it often enough and killed the last battery before its time. I switched to a maintenance free AGM battery and it has lasted well for two years, including one complete discharge due to my leaving the lights on. They also hold a charge very well over the winter, even if it gets very cold like it does here in upstate NY. I leave the battery in the cycle and only plug in a charger every couple of months when I get a warm day, though it doesn't really seem to need it. I would rate AGMs as excellent in a motorcycle application.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Contrary to battery advertisement claims, batteries are not maintenance free.

Assuming they are wet flooded types and not AGM.
wink.gif

True.

I tend to avoid glass mat batteries. I choose flooded lead acid and maintain them with very good results.

AGM's are excellent batteries. You can one up to 300ca at J&P cycles. I finally had to replaced the original Harley AGM Battery in my 2002 Twin Cam last year, so I got 5-6 yrs out of it and the one on my wifes 2004 Twin Cam is still going. I went with the J&P cycle brand AGM and it's been doing fine. I actually killed it last year and they cheerfully replaced it under warranty no hassles. Time will tell if it will last as long as the OEM - but hey it was 1/2 the price.

As for the regular wet cell batteries I have had great luck with Sears Diehards but AWFUL luck with the cheapies like Batteries Plus and such. Bottom line is you gotta take care of them and keep them charged.

AGM's hold up better to abuse like offroading and they can side at various angles where as wet cells cant.

Whatever battery you get make sure it is activated correcly and keep it charged.

Last edited:
thanks guys - I bought a charger - that once the battery is charged it goes into trickle mode - I will leave it on for 10+ hours..... and try again.

FYI, a "smart charger" like Battery Tender is designed so you can leave it always plugged in, unlike old fashioned trickle chargers that can overcharge the battery. If the bike goes days or weeks without use, maintaining full charge like this should increase the battery's lifespan.

My Battery Tender came with an SAE connector that I route under the seat to make this convenient. I tuck the connector end under the seat while I'm riding. When I come home I plug it in and leave it until the next ride.

Five watt solar panels are great for keeping batteries in good condition over winter without over charging them. I've been using them for many years with great success. I run as many as three batteries per solar panel. When spring rolls around, all batteries are well charged and fluid levels up. It's a connect and forget arrangement that works.

Yep, look for a automatic trickle charger. Better yet, get a desulfating automatic trickle charger. Battery Minder and Soneil are two brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back