Best Synthetic Oil & Best BANG For Your "$"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, for most people out there who use Synthetic Oil and do a 6-10K miles OCI's.

Which brand of oil will you chose as best in such a category. In terms of providing excellent gas mileage & best engine protection for those 6-10K miles dollar to dollar.

I think following are good candidates who give maximum bang for buck with out breaking the bank.

1. Amsoil XL
2. Pennzoil Platinum
3. Quakertstate HorsePower
4. Valvoline SynPower
5. Shell Formula 1
6. PetroCanada Synthetic

I have avoided Mobil & Castrol, although these brands of oil can be purchased at good price on sale.

Let's figure out using which oil we can save most $, most of the time!

*********Please Answer in one line stating which Oil Do/Will You prefer and WHY? & Arrange the brands listed as per your choice of preference.********

I only run Pennzoil Platinum in both cars due to it's relatively low cost and high performance. Civic gets it for 10k and the CR-V will now be run to 7500 due to short trips.

Whatever is cheap at the moment. They're all about equal in my eyes. Next change will be with more Q Torque Power at $11/5 quarts. The next one will be Edge, at $1.60/5 quarts after discounts.

I know, it's not helping your decision making!

Canadian Tire, will, once a year, and only once, will run a "true" sale on Formula 1 synthetic. The sale is usually only for Fri Sat and Sunday, and the 4.4l, the last time they ran this sale, was 14.99. Shell makes this Formula 1 oil for CT, and it is worth waiting for. I normally buy 12 jugs when this happens, then i don't have to worry about any more sales for a while. Essentially, modern SM oils are so good, that they will all protect your engine equally well. What is more important, is buying a timer, and plugging your block heater in, and I also use a glue-on oil pan heater. Preheating, is way more important than any very minor difference in oil. For instance preheating the oil in a Canadian fall/winter/spring will ensure the oil gets to the top of the engine in a few seconds, and will be of perfect consistency. In Canada, summer consists basically of 2 weeks of bad skiing.

Amsoil for me... We pay much higher prices up here for Synthetics compared to our US friends, so for the couple bucks extra I go with Amsoil and I can drive it safely to an extended OCI.

Plus it is one of the only "Full" synthetics left which uses PAO and not GRP-III. Not that there is anything wrong with GRP-III but if I'm going to pay a premium for Syn, then I want a premium product or at lease a premium base stock.

Steve
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Imo,the best synthetic for the money is Mobil 1.
There goes another thread...
lol.gif
(J/K)

I was thinking the same thing..haha

Originally Posted By: hpichris
lol.gif
(J/K)

Uh oh,hope I didn`t get one started!
28.gif

Originally Posted By: hpichris
lol.gif
(J/K)

Uh oh,hope I didn`t get one started!
28.gif

You know you did
23.gif

I mentioned that to my sister and she set up her gps (after market)
and did notice that her honda speedometer was reading more miles than she actually drove by a very slight margin i also mentioned the class action lawsuit and she said it would be better to sue them on her own because they want to settle these things with a gag order they don't want to try them because if they lose they will lose more due to the attorneys referencing the case that was lost by them ..She also said that if she joined the class action lawsuit by the time everyone gets paid lawyers expenses etc. if you get $50.00 you would be lucky..
I should remind her i don't think she did anything yet she does not have to pay for a Lawyer so it would be worth it for her

From what I understand you get a payment and the problem has to be corrected.

The people that started the suit did so because they were denied warranty claims because of the mileage even though it was inaccurate and Honda knew there was a problem.

There was a whole show about it up here on Canadian TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back