any magic tricks for removing O2 sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of the split sockets - but half the time they seem to spread instead of budging the sensor. grrrrr! I hate to take it in just to change an O2 sensor!!!! and of course, the easily accessable O2 sensors dont struggle - but the hard to reach ones always hold on!!!

I know the advance by my house has a o2 removal kit they rent, has a few different sockets made for o2 sensors. also if i ran the vehicle for a little and the exhaust was a little warm that helped also

ya know, I've always wanted one of them blue-tip wrenches! (acetylene torch) fine. I'll try again tomorrow night. grrrr! ya know, I just finished an IMG replacement on a friend's car - I really dont wanna go back into the garage!

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Lots and lots of PB blaster.
Cut the wires and use a impact socket. (realized of course this is one way once you do this.)
Torch.

Bingo! If you can't get an impact over it, then use a long box-end wrench and a hammer.

unfortunately its down low between the engine and the firewall in an intrepid. and no access from below. I can barely get my paws down there let alone major tools.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
unfortunately its down low between the engine and the firewall in an intrepid. and no access from below. I can barely get my paws down there let alone major tools.

Nice...

Don't you just love how they planned the layout to make service easier?

Torch it* Ive read from neon mechnics, that used a small torh to get the sensors good n hot, so they unscrew alot easier...or use a crowfoot, i think its called. Haave one in my toolbox, but never had a chance to use it.

Had the same placement issue on my mothers Plymouth. Pblaster, and a long handle was what worked for us. We put the blaster on liberally, put the socket on, and then idled the car a bit, and it eventually came.

I use a torch on about all that I've changed so I don't end up buying a new exhaust piece or at the very least, a threaded bung that has to be welded in place.
On my own vehicles, I hit them with Kroil or P'blaster for about a week ahead.

The only way I have ever been able to get off exhaust pieces of any kind without breaking them is to get them red hot first. They squeak, but they come out in one piece.

I've never used a dedicated O2 socket. I've always managed to use a box end 7/8" wrench. I thread the pigtail through the wrench and get excellent purchase on the sensor. No spreading!

I've always used a dedicated O2 socket as well. Never had much of a problem but have had to use some long breaker bars to do it before.

I am often able to put the plug and wire through a box end wrench and then I slide the wrench down over the hex on the sensor. That, plus gloves, are usually enough. I too have found that split sockets, even the good ones, spread open under high torque.

Warming it up a little and a little Heat riser valve lubricant (still available from the GM dealer) works good.

Heat it up, melt wax on it, then use a 7/8 inch or 22mm box end wrench, and pull on it. This might work safely.

It seems VERY dangerous to me, but I have seen my friends occasionally heat up metal, then spray penetrating oil on it. The oil would burn, but go out quickly. The fastener would be much easier to turn afterwords. Sometimes they would do this 2 or 3 times if something was insanely stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back