Keeping weather stripping from drying out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if there is anything I can buy that helps keep weather stripping from cracking or drying out? My car has a lot and I would just like to do whatever from having to replace the stripping. The guy at autozone said they make nothing like that and you don't need to do anything on weather stripping --- it's good for life he said. -_-

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I've been spraying my old Dakota's with Armor All in spring and fall for 18 years and they are all pretty much like new!

I don't believe they will last forever without something applied occasionally.

John

I apply silicone lube to all weatherstripping every fall. It keeps rubber from drying out, but it also prevents doors wron freezing shut.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I apply silicone lube to all weatherstripping every fall. It keeps rubber from drying out, but it also prevents doors wron freezing shut.

I'll have to remember that as my doors freeze shut about once a year.

John

Most Corvette guys use silicone spray it also works well to make them stop taling to you when you go over bumps and such. Oils will cause the rubber to break down and leave black markson your close. I have tried Armor All,Vasoline,Spray Oils and Silicone and I think silicone works best.

I just pick up a can of whatever silicone spray is in Wal-Mart. 303 Boeshield is great, but I have not seen it locally, and shipping to AK kills me every time.

Armorall contains formaldehyde, AFAIK, so it will dry out dash and weatherstripping.

Silicone dielectric applied sparingly works fine.

DuPont Krytox or Dow Corning High Vacuum greases are good also but pricey.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Try 303 protectant, used by many boaters! I use it on all my plastic, vinyl,rubber nothing like it! Works great!
Joe

+1

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Try 303 protectant, used by many boaters! I use it on all my plastic, vinyl,rubber nothing like it! Works great!
Joe

+10. It also includes UV protection and works great on exposed plastic and rubber. It's also THE best tire dressing I've used as it doesn't leave your tires looking like George Hamilton's forehead and doesn't turn the black rubber grey over time like Armorall and its cousins will.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Silicone dielectric applied sparingly works fine.

DuPont Krytox or Dow Corning High Vacuum greases are good also but pricey.

Bingo! Krytox is best and is what we use on the assembly line. Dielectric grease is a close second and is mentioned in many owners manuals for weatherstrip use.

Krytox is great but it stays stcky/greasy. BMW had a product called Gummi-Pflege which applied wet and then soaked in and was dry. BMW doesn't send it to the US anymore but there is a product from IZ Einszett that is, they claim, the same. Check Google. I've used the BMW product and it worked well.

Any silicone grease applied sparingly. Wipe off the excess with a rag. Keeps the weatherstripping like new and helps it seal. It's worked well for my '89 Corolla all these years.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Armorall contains formaldehyde, AFAIK, so it will dry out dash and weatherstripping.

The Armorall of many years ago was "reported" as bad for many vinyls, etc. I think they changed their formula years ago. The MSDS describes it as a water emulsion of silicone. No mention of formaldahyde or petroleum solvents:

http://www.armorall.com.au/images/library/File/ARMOR%20ALL%20Protectant%20(Original).pdf

One rule of thumb is to stay away from clear greasy products and use the milk colored, water consistency ones. Lexol is another one to add to the others above.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Walmart has this for about $2.15 anyone know if this would work?

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05074&S=N

Yep, it will, as a matter of fact I picked up the exact same can a week ago for my cars. Spray on the paper towel, then rub the seals. Down low, past the windows, you can spray directly on the rubber and spread it with a towel. I usually end up having to clean glass any way; it is hard to keep the overspray off the windows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back