Is Toyota SLLC "Pink" Compatible with G12 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is just that, is Toyota "pink" compatible with G12 in an Audi ? My friends A4 is leaking coolant, but we haven't had time to diag the problem yet. The Audi "pink" is 35 bucks a gallon. My dad works at a Toyota Dealer, and can get me as much Toyota "Pink" as I want. My friend has little money, and I'm just trying to help him out. Will it hurt anything if we use the Toyota stuff to top off ? Haven't done it yet though. We were considering using the Prestone any color stuff, but I read on one of the VW sites that it doesn't jive well with G12.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Justin

I doubt it but honestly do not know off hand. ANything is better then running too low on coolant but he will need to flush the system anyway so use something cheaper then SLLC use local all makes all models from Walmart until you fix the problem then flush and refill with your choice of fluid.

We've been topping off with a bottle of VW/Audi G12 he got from the dealer, but just finished that bottle today.
The Toyota SLLC I can get free. Basically when a car comes in for a service, there is some left over in the bottle. My dad uses the open bottle for the next car, and so on, and so on. Eventually he has a bunch of new sealed bottles of Toytoa "Pink" at his bench, and just brings them home.
That's how I get it free.

On another note, I was just looking at the Valvoline site, and it says on the compatibility chart, to use Dexcool in this year Audi.
This doesn't seem right. Let me know your thoughts.
Here is a link to that chart I mentioned:
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_CoolantChart.pdf

The car is a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro.

I don't think they're compatible other than being color coordinated. Also, you're paying almost double the usual dealer cost for G12. I just bought a gallon the other day from a dealer and I think it was about $20 (in New York). It's cheaper online.

What year A4 and what engine?

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
'98 A4 2.8 30V (AHA) V6

Incompatible. If you don't live in a cold climate, top off with distilled water until you can fix the problem. The 2.8 factory water pump was rather fragile. I'd look there first. If that's the source of the leak, change it...along with the timing belt and tensioner. If not, check the oil cooler. Both are known problem children for the 2.8 and 2.7T engines.

Best,

Unfortunately we are in NH, Very Cold climate.
What coolants are compatible with G12 other than the VW/Audi stuff?
We don't have many choices for dealers around here.

I'm thinking a Dex-Clone would be OK with G12, aren't they chemically similar?

I'd only use the Toyota stuff to top off any Toyota or Honda app - you might get purple-blueish coolant if you mix with Honda blue/green.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I'm thinking a Dex-Clone would be OK with G12, aren't they chemically similar?

Perhaps somewhat similar, but not the same. What I've been told (by Audi/VW techs as well as people who race Audis) is that you COULD switch to Dexcool if you completely flush out the G12 first (and vice versa), but you absolutely cannot mix them. "Bad things" will happen.

Better to overpay for the correct coolant than to get bent over by your dealer/mechanic if you harm the engine and/or cooling system with a witches' brew of incompatible coolants.

Also, there are a number of places online that sell G12 that are likely cheaper than the OP is paying his local stealer...even when you include shipping costs.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
No they are not compatible and yes I would use Prestone all makes to top off.

Prestone All Makes/All Models IS a Dexclone. How can you recommended it yet say that they are not compatible??? Sodium 2-EHA is listed right on the bottle of Prestone AM/AM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris

Prestone All Makes/All Models IS a Dexclone. How can you recommended it yet say that they are not compatible??? Sodium 2-EHA is listed right on the bottle of Prestone AM/AM.

Maybe the are not 100% clone, but have a jack of all trade additives that aren't as bad as any dedicate solution.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Maybe the are not 100% clone, but have a jack of all trade additives that aren't as bad as any dedicate solution.

So 2-EHA in Prestone is now not as bad as 2-EHA in Dexcool???

Last edited:

So 2-EHA in Prestone is now not as bad as 2-EHA in Dexcool???

If they don't use as much 2EHA as Dexcool

The Toyota SLLC I can get free. Basically when a car comes in for a service, there is some left over in the bottle. My dad uses the open bottle for the next car, and so on, and so on. Eventually he has a bunch of new sealed bottles of Toytoa "Pink" at his bench, and just brings them home.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Each customer pays for the full bottle of coolant and then gets ripped off. Where does your dad work so we can all be sure never to go there. Each customer should get there unused portion to take home so they will not need to buy a $30 gallon later when they need an extra pint. The next customer paying for new unopened coolant gets someone elses leftover, and the final customer when dad steals the unopened gallon is being ripped off for a whole gallon. Think about this. If customers are asked and don't want their remaining coolant, then it should at least be used by the shop to offset overhead and not stolen by the employees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NoMoShocks

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Each customer pays for the full bottle of coolant and then gets ripped off. Where does your dad work so we can all be sure never to go there. Each customer should get there unused portion to take home so they will not need to buy a $30 gallon later when they need an extra pint. The next customer paying for new unopened coolant gets someone elses leftover, and the final customer when dad steals the unopened gallon is being ripped off for a whole gallon. Think about this. If customers are asked and don't want their remaining coolant, then it should at least be used by the shop to offset overhead and not stolen by the employees.

Good job on your first post. Nothing like making a bang of an entrance eh

This is why I gave up Audi's years ago. Too much proprietary stuff (remember their hydraulic 'mineral oil' of the 80s they made you use in their steering systems). That stuff was 30 bucks a liter back then and the racks still grenaded (and eventually recalled). Audi ownership is not for people who do not have serious money for maintenance and repairs for an out of warranty vehicle. If it were my vehicle, I would flush it all out out and go with a cheap prestone all vehicle type coolant until the leak can be repaired properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back