Color of Quaker State 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week, I had an oil change done at a local Midas using their bulk Quaker State 5w-30 and a PRO-TEC filter for $20.

After the oil change, I checked the oil and noticed that the oil was light brown. While the color of the oil was light brown, the color was a bit darker than I had expected and to some people, could actually pass for used oil.

Now, I was talking to the tech when he pumped the oil out of the bulk gun, so I know I wasn't ripped. The oil doesn't smell used. But at the same time, the oil does seem awfully dark for new oil.

So for those of you who use or have used Quaker State conventional oil, does the oil appear rather dark, even when it's new?

Thanks!

I know their Torque and Horsepower line of synthetics seem a little more brown than some of the other brands. It was darker than the Valvoline synpower and Mobil 1 EP I have used in the past.

I've used plenty of Quaker State...it's color is similar to Pennzoil and Formula Shell. Valvoline is the lightest color oil I've seen.

The color doesn't mean anything so just enjoy the fact your car is being taken care of.
thumbsup2.gif

I've read Ca compounds are dark brown...so darker oil is actually showing a good amount of detergent in the oil. I've noticed this when pouring QS 5W-30 before as well.....

I have some Valvoline I bought on sale and it is clear as water. I would not call QS 'dark' but it is darker than some other brands.

FWIW I have used QS for off and on for several years because I keep finding really good deals on it. I like QS. My favorite is PYB but I buy the best deal these days.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Last week, I had an oil change done at a local Midas...

After the oil change, I checked the oil and noticed that the oil was light brown.

Now, I was talking to the tech when he pumped the oil out of the bulk gun, so I know I wasn't ripped. ... But at the same time, the oil does seem awfully dark for new oil.

Thanks!

Have you ever watched the movie "Catch-22"? Rent it and watch when Yosarian is in the Hospital. See what the nurses do to the guy in the body cast.

I use nothing but quaker state 5 quart jugs..

I would say it looks a deep golden color, a little darker than quite a few other oils.

Good oil, nothing wrong with it.. Usually $10 for 5 quarts.

I noticed this today (Havoline vs. Trop Artic). The Havoline was much, much lighter than the TA.

I just added some qs synthetic in the camry today and noticed that new qsud ia darker than other new oils but this one has been sitting in the garage for a month now in the summer so was it the summer heat that turned the oil darker or is qsud synthetic normally darker? Thanks.

Can't say regarding QS conventional but in the times I've used QSUD it's definitely more of a caramel color than other oils I've used. I think that it might just be normal...

The question that comes to my mind is why you had Midas change the oil for you in the first place. Seems to me, a strong athletic young man such as yourself shouldn't be having other people change the oil....

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Can't say regarding QS conventional but in the times I've used QSUD it's definitely more of a caramel color than other oils I've used. I think that it might just be normal...

i see, so it wasn't from the hot garage?
also, from the color difference, we see qs is not pennzoil even if both are sopus products. is qsud worse than pp? or pp ultra (black bottle?) the black bottle is no longer sold at walmart (it was last year
frown.gif
) but at autozone it's on sale now, is it better than pp, and how does it compare to mobil 1 or mobil 1 ep? it's similarly priced with mobil 1 ep, so i'm guesssing it's up there and is a step up from the other "standard synthetics" like mobil 1, pennzoil platium, valvoline synpower, etc.

I've noticed Havoline is usually on the lighter side too. This last oil change I choose Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. It was so light I really could barely see it. I wonder if that may be from the base oil. Ray Charles could see the PYB I have just put in my lady's Camry. But the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage was nearly translucent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back