mixing slight amounts of diff oil when changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I will be changing my oil in my bike this week using torco blend. My dealer supplies it free of charge. But only every 6k miles and i want to change it every 3k. So i need to buy oil every other change. But because torco isn't available around here i was thinking of using motul blend. I hear it's great oil everywhere i read about is, plus it's much cheaper than the Torco blend. But the thing is, my bike takes over 4 quarts (1.1 gallons) and the motul comes in 1 gallon jugs where i'd be getting it just up the street from me. They don't have it in the quart bottle. I suppose i could find it elsewhere and buy a separate quart, but theres probably almost another $10 and i only need about .3-.4 quart. (thats what i took last time when i drained it really good)So would it be bad to change to motul and leave about a third of a quart of the old torco in it?

Dont top it off. The 1 gal should be fine. U sure it isnt 4 litre jug? Odd if motul would use gal? Which motul? Some use friction modifiers that may not be suitable for wet clutch. Good oil though! If not M14T racing would be an ok topoff.

Hmm....i just assumed it was in gallons. I'll have to check, thanks.

yeah, it's in liters. It's got about 1/2 as much extra as i'll need from dry. Then again that means i won't need even as much as i thought so it should be fine. I bet if i just don't drain it forever like i usually do the jug will probably be enough.

Where's the logic of using ultra-expensive oil, yet dumping the sump so often?

So - I'll ask the underlying questions:
What brand of bike?
What type of engine/sump/clutch?
What style/distance of riding?
Have you done a series of UOAs?
Why the desire to dump oil at 3k miles?

Too little information to make a decision, but I suspect you're doing it out of some notion of what's "best" for your ride. Please reconsider your situation before you commit to such a maintenance program; I suspect it's wasteful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Dnewton, the bike in question is the worlds fastest best handling, most powerful cruiser.

What model Harley is it?
13.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Dnewton, the bike in question is the worlds fastest best handling, most powerful cruiser.

What model Harley is it?
13.gif

Actually, in absolute true reality, if it were a Harley, none of the above would apply. If "most expensive" had been mentioned, that may have been at least one qualification that fits a Harley.

My guess is that to qualify for the above criteria, it would likely be a Yamaha V-Max.

"I suspect it's wasteful."

I agree. With 3K oil change intervals, a decent hdeo would do just fine.

I was at a local auto supply outlet a couple days ago buying oil. Some guy asked me if I knew where the 10W40 synthetic oil was. I asked him which brand. He said it didn't matter as long as it was synthetic. I told him that I could only see 5W40 Castrol. He said "It has to be 10W40 synthetic." I asked him why? He said that's what the motorcycle shop dealer put in his 360cc air cooled Kawasaki ATV and told him that he is only to put that viscosity in the machine. I laughed at that. I asked him if he was having any luck finding 10W40 synthetic. He said that the only place that sold it was the motorcycle shop where he bought the ATV but he was tired of paying $55.00 a gallon for it. He said that between his car, truck and toys, he was spending a fortune on synthetic oil. I laughed some more. I asked him how often he changed the oil in his ATV? He replied that he changed it every year or 500 miles. I said that he's throwing money out the window and that Shell Rotella 15W40 would be more than sufficient. Not a chance. The guy was fixated on synthetic oil. I had asked him a few questions about his ATV and he appeared fairly ignorant. Didn't know if it was air cooled or liquid cooled. He knew which model it was so I was able to determine that it was air cooled. Just goes to show how some people can be manipulated to pump money into the dealer's pockets and not think twice about it. At least this guy finally smartened up enough to save $20.00/gallon by buying from an auto outlet.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bikes are race engines. They need good oil. I love to see a good Sm/GF4 oil - havent seen one yet.

Yeah, I've entered my Valkyrie in the Australian grand prix next week. I'm running Rotella 15W40. I suspect that might make the bike less competitive...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
heavyhitter made it clear that its a Yamaha 4 cylinder

Now how he knew that, I dunno

No its a Triumph Thunderbird, and I knew this from another post I was paraphrasing in my on my own words his sentiments towards the bike.
smirk2.gif

The best motorcycle ever made according to the saleman and the OP. They are nice but not the be all / end all. It's nice he is happy with it. If we could only solve this complicated oil problem.....

What if you just bought a case of Torco from a discount web site and put it in your garage for use on every other change???? Then you're not mixing.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
heavyhitter made it clear that its a Yamaha 4 cylinder

Now how he knew that, I dunno

No its a Triumph Thunderbird, and I knew this from another post I was paraphrasing in my on my own words his sentiments towards the bike.
smirk2.gif

Well, my bad I thought it was a VMax for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back