Anybody think yellow fog lights are better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that for true fog lights (as opposed to "driving" lights) yellow, or at least some shade of yellow is better for actually driving in fog or snow because the reflections to the driver's eye are lessened.

Is this true? Do any auto manufacturers put on yellow fog lights in the factory. Maybe in other countries besides the US?

Anyone convert their white fog lights to yellow fog lights?

France had yellow HEADLIGHTS for a while, but I don't think they require that anymore.

I saw a fair bit of that when I lived in Germany back in the late 80's early 90's.

Something I wish we WOULD adopt is the rear mounted fog light. It's a low mounted red tail light, as bright as a brake light.

FWIW.

Lexus had put yellow fogs on many of their cars.

It's easy to go to yellow fog:

Buy yellow bulb
Use yellow film on the lens

used to be, the theory was the retinal sensitivity peaks in the yellow zone,so they used to use sodium lights because of the high yellow content for street lighting. however, there is no high pressure sodium light available for automobile use, and just putting a yellow lens in front of a white light is wishful thinking, so the best lamp for
for fog or rain or snow useage would be a LOW temperature HID lamp, either 3500K or 4100K.
Higher temperature lights, with more blue content, will, as you say, scatter more, which is why the sky is blue, and the sunset is red.
With NON-HID (conventional halogen), the clear lens is best but a yellow lens lamp will still be FAR BETTER than nothing, and will still work quite well.

Last edited:
Having put yellow Xpel film on the fogs of my fiancee's Honda, I can say you do see a difference between the headlights and the foglights. No nasty weather to test them in, fortunately.

The color is a light shade of yellow.

I have yellow fog lights down under my bumper, but in the plastic airdams for protection.

Never use them for fog.

snowlights.jpg

They are great in the snow though because they exaggerate the ruts and texture of the snow. Being low they're on a different angle than my eyes and they cast shadows of the snow lumps.

Since they're yellow not white like my headlights (I run both) they make things look way more 3D and easier to gauge distance and depth.

99% of factory fog lights as seen in the US are jokes anyway. Underpowered, glary, and rigged to be forgotten about and left on with the low beams because they "look cool". Around here oncoming cops are easy to spot at night because they're about the only vehicles without fogs!

I have actually done a fair bit of reading lately on this very subject out of my own curiosity.

Vapor sodium lighting in parking lots and street lights was strictly a cost issue, not visibility. They are the best bang for the buck so-to-speak, and they put out the most light for the least dollar.

Yellow lights were required by France so they could tell French-registered cars from other cars (wartime, I think).

Yellow fogs have two do with a couple of things, either Rayleigh (SP?) light scattering, or human vision processing. It is thought that light waves of differing lengths get scattered differently in fog by water droplets. However, it seems as this is not true, because the longest light waves are too small to be affected by something so (comparatively) large as a water droplet. The idea is the yellow light does not scatter, therefore it "penetrates" further. In reality, it seems this is false and yellow light does not penetrate any better than standard white light.

The more likely scenario is one of two things. One option is that by filtering the light, you are reducing the overall light emitted, therefore less light is reflected at you to process. This gives the illusion it works better, when in reality it does not.

The other option is how we process light. The human eye can process red the easiest, followed by orange, yellow, green and blue (that's pretty close, anyway). Our night vision is specifically affected by this, and why much night illumination is red. It has to do with our light receptors, but red does not affect them negatively, so we can see things in red without losing our night vision. We can't use red fog lights (thanks to our brake lights), so the next suitable option is yellow.

Blue is the worst, and the blue lights some people claim work great in snow probably only work due to the decreased light output. Humans actually have a lot of problem with blue, and while I have not tried the suggested experiments, suffice it to say it should not be used if ever possible!

An interesting side note is interior gauges. My Tacoma uses a red-orange illumination for everything. It is not very stylish, and many change the lighting to white or blue--a huge mistake! It seems Toyota was playing perfectly into our vision capabilities with their color choice. The red-orange remains visible while reducing its affect on our vision to see at night. Those people changing their instrumentation to white or blue are actually potentially being very detrimental to their vision--even if it is much more stylish.

It sounds like, however, yellow illumination may really not be very useful. The output just isn't enough to have the desired effect. However, what my question is, what if we used yellow glasses (like shooting glasses) in fog, instead of yellow lights? I do not know the answer, but from what I have read this actually may be far more beneficial than yellow illumination. Who knows? I may try it some time (but it will screw up my red-orange gauges!)

ETA: I wrote this in a hurry, and probably left some things out but you get the idea!

Last edited:
MB, Thanks for all of your useful information. I note that ski goggle lemses are also yellow as it helps greatly with contrast. This I know first hand since I ski.

I'd love to hear more experts' opinions.

I have yellow HB9 bulbs in the fog lights of my Frontier. I don't have any night fog or snow experience with them yet, but I did drive through heavy rain on a very dark and unfamiliar country road in Colorado this last summer.

The fogs are adjusted down to only cast light out to about 50 feet but the yellow definitely added contrast and detail to help see the dark and wet road, especially the edges. I also have Philips Xtreme 9007 bulbs and the yellow is a nice compliment for close range, which mates with slower speeds while driving in fog.

I just replaced the factory fog light bulbs (white) with yellow aftermarket bulbs in the misses's 03 pontiac sunfire.

I think it works a little better in heavy rain, we shall get the snow report in about a month..

I got the bulbs on ebay, the brand name is Nokya, about 16 dollars for the pair shipped.

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
Our night vision is specifically affected by this, and why much night illumination is red. It has to do with our light receptors, but red does not affect them negatively, so we can see things in red without losing our night vision.

Wow! One thing Pontiac got right. Red interior lighting.
19.gif

yellow does cut down on glare, at least to how our eyes decipher it. So yes they are better for snow rain poor road conditions with high glare. This comes with a caveat though. Putting any sort of a color spectrum filter (colored bulb) does cut the amount of light output, so actual candlepower on the road is reduced. But in fog and extreme weather conditions we should be moving slower and less concerned about light making it as far down the road but rather the light being as good low glare quality as possible. I choose to run yellow for fogs for this purpose. Yellow also makes you more visible to other drivers a plus in pea soup fog

Originally Posted By: MisterBen
I have actually done a fair bit of reading lately on this very subject out of my own curiosity.

Vapor sodium lighting in parking lots and street lights was strictly a cost issue, not visibility. They are the best bang for the buck so-to-speak, and they put out the most light for the least dollar.

Yellow lights were required by France so they could tell French-registered cars from other cars (wartime, I think).

Yellow fogs have two do with a couple of things, either Rayleigh (SP?) light scattering, or human vision processing. It is thought that light waves of differing lengths get scattered differently in fog by water droplets. However, it seems as this is not true, because the longest light waves are too small to be affected by something so (comparatively) large as a water droplet. The idea is the yellow light does not scatter, therefore it "penetrates" further. In reality, it seems this is false and yellow light does not penetrate any better than standard white light.

The more likely scenario is one of two things. One option is that by filtering the light, you are reducing the overall light emitted, therefore less light is reflected at you to process. This gives the illusion it works better, when in reality it does not.

The other option is how we process light. The human eye can process red the easiest, followed by orange, yellow, green and blue (that's pretty close, anyway). Our night vision is specifically affected by this, and why much night illumination is red. It has to do with our light receptors, but red does not affect them negatively, so we can see things in red without losing our night vision. We can't use red fog lights (thanks to our brake lights), so the next suitable option is yellow.

Blue is the worst, and the blue lights some people claim work great in snow probably only work due to the decreased light output. Humans actually have a lot of problem with blue, and while I have not tried the suggested experiments, suffice it to say it should not be used if ever possible!

An interesting side note is interior gauges. My Tacoma uses a red-orange illumination for everything. It is not very stylish, and many change the lighting to white or blue--a huge mistake! It seems Toyota was playing perfectly into our vision capabilities with their color choice. The red-orange remains visible while reducing its affect on our vision to see at night. Those people changing their instrumentation to white or blue are actually potentially being very detrimental to their vision--even if it is much more stylish.

It sounds like, however, yellow illumination may really not be very useful. The output just isn't enough to have the desired effect. However, what my question is, what if we used yellow glasses (like shooting glasses) in fog, instead of yellow lights? I do not know the answer, but from what I have read this actually may be far more beneficial than yellow illumination. Who knows? I may try it some time (but it will screw up my red-orange gauges!)

ETA: I wrote this in a hurry, and probably left some things out but you get the idea!

Red light is easier to see at night because the wavelength is longer.

The materials used to create that yellow in europe thru the 90's is now outlawed and while replaced is arguably not quite as effective.

"Rayleigh scattering is responsible for the blue color of the sky during the day. Rayleigh scattering is inversely proportional to the fourth power of wavelength, which means that the shorter wavelength of blue light will scatter more than the longer wavelengths of green and red light. This gives the sky a blue appearance.

"Conversely, looking toward the sun, the colors that were not scattered away -- the longer wavelengths such as red and yellow light -- are visible. When the sun is near the horizon, the volume of air through which sunlight must pass is significantly greater than when the sun is high in the sky. Accordingly, the gradient from a red-yellow sun to the blue sky is considerably wider at sunrise and sunset.

"Rayleigh scattering primarily occurs through light's interaction with air molecules. Some of the scattering can also be from aerosols of sulfate particles."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

Blue light scatters and fills in contour. When the blue is filtered out with a yellow filter, the remaining light scatters less and shows detail better. Nothing cuts through fog, etc. The warmer colors don't reflect back off the fog as much.

FWIW, there are two different types of sodium-vapor lights used for street/area lighting. Low pressure sodium lamps are a large outer glass shell with a inner loop of glass tubing that contains the sodium vapor. They tend to be mono-chromatic, very yellow. LPS is often used for bridges and underpasses. LPS is the most efficient watt/lumens lighting source, but the lousy color limits it's application.

High Pressure Sodium lamps (the most common type for street lighting) are HID (like the metal-halide type on cars). They tend to have a bright orange-ish light. The HPS lamp uses a small ceramic tube to contain the sodium-arc within a protective outer glass shell. HPS is also very efficient, with a much better color-rendition than LPS nad a 24000+ hour lamp life. These are the primary reasons that HPS is the choice for most street lighting.

Metal-halide ofers good efficiency, very good color-rendition (used for lighing new-car lots, warehouse interiors etc.) but is generally more expensive to install and maintain than HPS and has a lamp life of around 12-16000 hours.

Last edited:
I used Weathervisions not as fogs but in the highbeams so I could keep them on more in foggy conditions, and it worked. Instead of a wall of white light, it was more transparent and made high beam use easier in the patchy fog we get.

I tend to think the industry provides yellow fogs for a reason.

Way back when there was a Pennsylvania Railroad, they used what they called position signals, which consisted of yellow lights arranged in patterns to indicate the intended signal. From what I remember hearing, yellow was chosen as it was the most visible color in foggy conditions, so it would make sense that it would also provide the most illumination.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Way back when there was a Pennsylvania Railroad, they used what they called position signals, which consisted of yellow lights arranged in patterns to indicate the intended signal. From what I remember hearing, yellow was chosen as it was the most visible color in foggy conditions, so it would make sense that it would also provide the most illumination.

The LIRR still uses the old PRR-style position signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back