VW 503.00 vs. 503.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would be that VW503.00 is long life based on standards from the late 90s and VW503.01 is long life based on current standards. Just an educated guess nothing more.

Oh I see what you are asking. I think that the VW503.01 oil would have to meet stricter standards thus being the better oil.

SAE requirements?
cheers.gif

I'm not going to play because I know the critical main differences between those two specs, but I can't help and must add a comment, because a dead horse is being beaten anyway.

VW 503.00 is not a "relatively" new spec. In fact VW 503.00 has already been replaced by VW 504/507. VW and Audi still list VW 503.00 as useable in the engines for which this oil was specifically designed, but that's as to not confuse the customers and to basically admit that VW 503.00 wasn't exactly the greatest idea that VW ever had.

Current Audi Oil Specs
Current VW Oil Specs

VW has too many darn oil spec's.

offtopic.gif

This is one thing that pushed me away from the brand. In 2001 I even called the customer care line to get a definitive answer on oil for my new TDI, as the manual was a bit misleading. Customer Care WOULD NOT answer the question. (My problem was the dealer was using non CH-4 oil in my TDI...Just Syntec 5w30.)

I have been much happier since I bought some new cars that just spec. "SL/SM 5w30".

Why do VW owners need to memeorize a series of 5 digit numbers and recall them on a whim when it comes time for an oil change?

Pablo learn some basic chemistry. I hate to sound sarcastic but you need to do something about your posting skills.

kickster: Please keep this message thread on-topic, no need to slam Pablo in this thread because you didn't like his response to your other thread.

These specs sound like "damage control meets politics and marketing". Does it look like VW has lost its corporate rudder. I remember the days of the Bug. Everyone knew it was a good car. You knew exactly what you were getting when you bought your Bug. It may well not have been the best buy for your dollar, but it was a good buy, bad handling, bad brakes,lousy heater/defroster, no trunk space and lousy windshield wipers not withstanding. The corporate image was clear. Today a lot of buyers have been run off by the corporation, the dealers and the fact that the VW is not a VW anymore.

My point for posting this was to show that even a moderately informed audience has some difficulty talking about these specifications. What does John Q. Oilchanger know? VW is suckerpunching people every bit as bad as Amsoil is - in different ways. I do think neither are purposeful deceit. I can just hope from your input I can continue to remind Amsoil that some segment of the population does actually read the number soup.

What happened to Mike, quoting a truly bad independent dealer site, is kinda sad.

offtopic.gif
As for kickster - I do apologize for coming on strong, but man - you have over 250 posts, so I assume you have read at least 500 threads. How could you make such...well such a ridiculous statement? I can almost see someone diving in here and posting such a question for their very first post. But I hope I did wake you up.

This is sort of on/off topic, but why does VW have so many specifications for the oils that they recommend for their vehicles. Most can understand SF, SG, SH, and so on, but even I have to agree that all of these numerically specific oils requirements are a bit over the top.

Have these specs really changed that much in the past two to four years to warrant 2,346 numbers?!?

I suppose there are two ways of looking at the 'confusing' number of VW oil specs:

A) that VW are confusing the customer (and in some cases VW dealer) by having all these specs and, maybe, they are making their engine too fussy and intolerant if only one exact spec of oil will do for each engine version/type.

or

B) VW is trying to ensure that their engines get the best possible lubrication by 'tailoring' a specific specification of oil for that engine and are making it easy for the customer to use the correct oil by saying your VW engine only needs to have oil as per specification VW xxx.xx - you don't need to concern yourself with any other aspect of the specifcations listed on the oil bottle.

Going slightly further off topic, does anyone think (or know) that the new VW 504 & 507 specs are better or worse than the currect clutch of specs? Are VW replacing a multitude of specifications with a 'One size fits all' specification that may not be as good as some of the more targeted specs?

Now, back to the original question: What's the differece between a 503.00 and 503.01 oil?

I have no idea. I'd always assumed that the 503.01 was a more robust/tougher oil (it's spefified for the higher power Audi turbo motors)and was therefore a 'better' oil. But that is just an assumption.

JeffPGH, THANK YOU! You are correct.

VW 504/507 supercedes and effectively replaces

- VW 501.01 (ancient multigrade spec)
- VW 500.00 (ancient friction-modified oil spec)
- VW 502.00 (current friction-modified oil spec)
- VW 503.01 (similar to VW 502, plus ext. drain)
- VW 505.00 (ancient and still current regular diesel spec)
- VW 505.01 (spec for PD diesel and some gas engines)
- VW 503.00 (low HTHS spec for gas engines w/ext. drain)
- VW 506.00 (low HTHS diesel spec for specific engines)
- VW 506.01 (A few engines* still require this low HTHS oil)

To my best knowledge, all VW 504/507-rated oils are dual-rated 5W-30. All those oils have HTHS=3.5.

All VW and Audi engines can use VW 504/507 dualrated oil. Only the R5 and V10 TDI PD VW engine require nothing but VW 506.01. Audi does not require VW 506.01 and allows categorically VW 504/507.

I don't expect VW/Audi and the oilmakers to stop using the older oil specs any time soon. It would once again confuse the consumers who have been buying x-spec.

However, two types of oil, dual-rated VW 504/507 and VW 506.01 cover the oil requirements of the entire VW fleet, including old cars. In the case of Audi VW 504.507 covers all their engines.

For the 50th time:
Current VW Oil Specs
Current Audi Oil Specs

I know the question whether or not VW 504/507 is "better" than all the specs it supersedes will come up. Personally, I doubt it. But that frivolous claim deserves its own thread at a more appropriate time (In a few years, when VW 504/507 spec oils are common in the NA market).

I'll admit, I'm totally ignorant about VW specs. I've seen it asked here over and over again. I just overlook it. For the foreseeable future, I don't see myself owning a VW/Audi. It's not like I think they are bad cars, just about $3-4k higher in price range compared to similar sized vehicles.

quote:

It's not like I think they are bad cars, just about $3-4k higher in price range compared to similar sized vehicles.

I never have and never will base my decision when buying a car on comparing size and price. I simply find the most appealing car that meets my needs. That method has always worked for me. I like to keep my cars for a long time and I don't get bored with them because I choose carefully to begin with. In the long run, the price of the vehicle is really not important to me. It's a one-time expense. That's right, when I buy a car, I pay in full, or I'd feel like I'm driving the bank's loaner.

posted by Cutehumor
quote:

I'll admit, I'm totally ignorant about VW specs. I've seen it asked here over and over again. I just overlook it. For the foreseeable future, I don't see myself owning a VW/Audi. It's not like I think they are bad cars, just about $3-4k higher in price range compared to similar sized vehicles.

I agree Cutehumor,
I do not know if the VW cars are really that much more money wise then cars similar in size,
when the restyled Passat came out a few years ago, I thought it was one of the best
looking cars on the road,
but VW dependability has been spotty through the years,
and with all of the confusion with oil specs,
sort of reminds me of taking a beautiful lady to dinner and finding out she chews food with her
mouth open!
freak2.gif
grin.gif

[ November 15, 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Bill ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back