Mazda steering input shaft TSB grease rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 5 NA Camry/Highlander/Solara also suffered from the same malady (incl. my wifey's, which is a 04 LE 4cyl). Although Toyota TSB offered a revised version of the intermediate shaft replacement for servicing such problem, their local dealerships most commonly resorted to using exactly the same trick of re-greasing the splines and then let you go (and the symptoms return in about a 6 to 10 mnths).

I don't know how bad is your situation but in my case, I already replaced mine with a revised version (2 revisions since the original TSB release) and resolved the problem.

Bottomline: if, after re-greasing the splines and the problem re-appears after 6~10mns time, chances are, your intermediate shaft spline has significant clearances due to wear, and to fix this problem properly is to replace the entire assembly.

Q.

Any ideas for a sure-fire grease I mean. If it doesn't last I'll be in the same boat, but once I replace the shaft I'll know what to cover it in as well.

GM has had many intermediate shafts with this issue as well. Using the grease kit seems to have about a 50/50 shot of fixing it in the long run.

The aftermarket has lately been producing a 'D' shaped shaft to attempt to fix some of theirs, If its real common in the 6 perhaps one might come out for it someday.

Right now I can telescope the shaft full in and full out a few times and it's fixed for the day. Most others have reported success with what's in the tsb but I autocross and drive the twisties in the mountains with the Mazda club on a regular basis so I probably stress mine more.

Remember this: if the so-called "super grease" doesn't resolve this problem then your shaft has to be replaced, period.

BTW: this has nothing to do whether you perform a lot of autocrossing or not. It's a manufacturing issue.

Last edited:
As said above: Any ideas for a sure-fire grease? If it doesn't last I'll be in the same boat, but once I replace the shaft I'll know what grease is best to use.

Originally Posted By: moklock
GM has had many intermediate shafts with this issue as well. Using the grease kit seems to have about a 50/50 shot of fixing it in the long run.

The aftermarket has lately been producing a 'D' shaped shaft to attempt to fix some of theirs, If its real common in the 6 perhaps one might come out for it someday.

We did lots of GM colum tsb's and they tend to work. I'm not sure what the grease is, but it seems to be different than common products and there is something "special" about it.

It is probably some sort of thick dampening grease. Driveshaft slip yoke grease is probably similar but isn't any cheaper, just comes in a larger package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back