Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

When the ACDelco UPF series filters came out, they were advertised (by ACDelco of course) as very efficient filters that also had very good flow characteristics.

Yup i remember,suppose to flow well,i run them on my Z71 with 10w30HM all winter and no problems with ticking or anything,great filter.

That's where this famous graph came from ... ACDelco was showing how well the UPF Ultragaurd filters flowed (with cold oil in this case) compared to others.

There was a big hupla by some on the Vette boards saying the UPF didn't flow well, but I had many emails with the ACDelco Tech Dept, and they said the people doing "garage flow testing" didn't know what they were doing and that the data in the graph was accurate based on controlled lab testing.

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

Thought you all might want to know that the second K&N oil filter, HP-2004, now I tested it three times cleaning the element with kerosene between and it's filtering as good or better than the M1, and almost as good as the PureOne every time. I think something was leaking in the first one I tested. Maybe a tear in the paper.
I'll post pictures when my wife gets back in town with the good camera.

Rob

I will gladly send you a Royal Purple filter and have an Amsoil EAO filter shipped to you.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I will gladly send you a Royal Purple filter and have an Amsoil EAO filter shipped to you.

Please do!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Thought you all might want to know that the second K&N oil filter, HP-2004, now I tested it three times cleaning the element with kerosene between and it's filtering as good or better than the M1, and almost as good as the PureOne every time. I think something was leaking in the first one I tested. Maybe a tear in the paper.

Rob

you think the kero is aiding in filtration somehow? cant see the k&n doing as good as the M1?

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Great! I'll PM you my address.

you think the kero is aiding in filtration somehow? cant see the k&n doing as good as the M1?

No, the relative filtration between the brands seems the same whether the element is brand new and bone dry, or cleaned with kerosene. The new, dry K&N was first tested against two other new dry, elements--all fresh from the canister. On the second and third tests with these same filter elements they were all cleaned simultaneously in a bucket of kerosene.
I try to keep all things exactly equal--especially since I learned early on that if an old element had been dipped in muck many more times than a newer element, the old mucky element shows a dirtier result. Apparently the grit packs in the paper to some point that it goes on through. So now I only use new elements or equally used and cleaned elements for side by side comparisons.
Once, I tested an unfiltered sample and it was cleaner than the sample from an old uncleaned element. So these pictures are after my attempts to prevent this phenomenon and should give some good idea of filtration.

Can you post pics of the bread pan, how you actually did the test? I'm having a hard time imagining the procedure.

Originally Posted By: 4x4taco
Can you post pics of the bread pan, how you actually did the test? I'm having a hard time imagining the procedure.

From what I gathered from the description given in the first post by river_rat, he cuts the filters open to get the elements out, then simply lowers them into the pan containing oil that's been mixed with the talcum powder. The elements are lowered in with the open center core facing up to cover the media, but not enough go above the top end. The oil will then flow from the outside to the inside core of the element, just like it does on a car when in use except only gravity causes the oil to flow slowly through the media in this test. This filters the oil, so only cleaned oil fills the center core of the element. He then sucks the clean oil out of the center core into the clear tygon tubes, and positions them vertically so the talcum powder will settle to the bottom.

That's exactly right. Only now I've switched to a bigger better pan because my wife is out of town and didn't see me take it. Same procedure.
I can still post pics though. A video would be cool but I don't have a digital video camera.

I'll be shipping the RP and Amsoil filters toward the end of this week. If only we could get more people to donate some more high end filters like Donaldson, we could have the first high end filter shootout and see how the synthetic medias compare.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I've gotta step-up now that Buick has
grin2.gif

PM me your address and I'll send you a Donaldson SYNTEQ.

Yes! You took the bait.
cheers3.gif

Rob

Why can't you see the K&N filtering as well as the M1?

I must say, this thread is awesome. I race a Honda Challenge car, and have been using Castrol Syntec 10W-40 and K&N oil filters, replacing both every other event (~every 6 hours on the engine). After just a day on this site I already am feeling a need to change the oil I use, and it looks like a filter change may be in the works too.

Great info, great test, thanks for the wealth of information!

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Rob

Why can't you see the K&N filtering as well as the M1?
I thought the K&N and Mobil 1 was the same filter? I seem to remember someone saying they even had the same part numbers on the inside?

Originally Posted By: disturban
I thought the K&N and Mobil 1 was the same filter? I seem to remember someone saying they even had the same part numbers on the inside?

They are made by the same company, but may have different media specifications. I don't know.
The first test came out wonky (torn paper?). The second test with a new filter comes out pretty similar to the M1 every time.
I can test five times with the same two elements and one will be a little better one time, and the other a little better the next, and so on.
What I do see is a trend when one filter beats the another by an easily visible margin time after time.
In this case, laying the tubes down made the PureOne look a little worse because the grit flowed a bit.
But it looks to me like this K&N is consistently neck and neck with this M1 out of three tries. Seems to be one of the better filters, overall.

Originally Posted By: HondaRacer32
Great info, great test, thanks for the wealth of information!

Yer welcome. It ain't perfect, but it's better than sales hype and vague specs.

So far my favs in order are PureOne, M1/K&N, Denso, Mann and the Wix 51348 did pretty good.
These are the ones that have had a good trend in repeated tests. All flowed well for me too.
I'm looking forward to the EaO, RP, and high-end Delco. I expect them to do well.

First...Excellent Job!!! I want to thank you for taking the time and effort to put together this report.

One request...if you get the opportunity...I would really appreciate if you could add a Motorcraft filter to your report.

I typically use the Motorcraft FL-400S in my '08 Liberty. I consider it my "bang for the buck" filter...$3.47 @ my local Pep Boys. I refuse to go cheaper, until someone clearly proves that they can make something better for less. (On the other hand, my next step up would be to the NAPA Gold / Wix...so seeing that comparison would be great.)

Not that I trust everything they publish...and I do not wish to start any bashing of them here...either, but it surprises me that Consumer Reports or some other organization hasn't tried to perform a thorough and independant comparison report on oil filters. The only really good information that I have ever found has either been by the guys here or on 1 or 2 other websites.

MY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back