Passat W8 4Motion-How troublesome to own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bad are these cars to own?
I don't expect any modern VW to be a maintenance free device, but does anyone know how much trouble one of these might be?
Instead of doing yard work today, as I should have been, I surfed around.
I stumbled across a 2002 W8 4Motion on craigslist, with an alledged 65K miles, for a mere 3K.
This would be dirt cheap for the car and I can remeber when the W8 was introduced, I thought that it might be a nice car to own.
I invite any and all opinions and shared knoweledge.

The price is suspiciously low. Find out what is wrong with it.

Aside from that, from all I've read, the W8 was one of the more problematic engines on those cars. I'd look for a V6 one if you want a Passat 4-motion.

No personal experience myself with the W8.....But based on comments I've read and heard it sounds similar to owning a Porsche 928. A car I do have personal experience with. Similar in my mind as it's another car from a line in general with a reputation for expensive repairs. Yet the 928 stands head and shoulders above the others in the lineup. A very expensive car to keep on the road.

Not too encouraging so far.
I guess I shoudn't be surprised.

If they are only asking 3k, it is a scam. Most likely someone in Nigeria who wants you to wire him some money. Avoid!

Thank you, Quattro Pete.
Wow!
I just read the thread and it is scary.
This seems like such a nice, fast, all weather capable sedan.
Another failed execution from VAG?
Still, if the car exists (I am aware of the scam possibility) and has no major issues currently, I would only have to drive it to around 100K to get $3K of use out of it.
Could I count on nothing major going wrong in the next 35K or so?
Silly question based upon the vwvortex thread, I guess.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Still, if the car exists (I am aware of the scam possibility) and has no major issues currently,

If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Quote:

Could I count on nothing major going wrong in the next 35K or so?

Even in a brand new car, there is no such guarantee. And we're talking about a 7-year-old car here with spotty history at best.

If you want AWD with relatively good reliability, find yourself a Subaru.

Already found one of those.
It is nice and has good all-weather capability.
You would not call it fast, or even quick, however.

I should thank everyone above.
I have reached the conclusion that this car, however dersirable it might seem, would likely be a source of deep regret.
I have owned simple cars that were unreliable, like my MGB.
I have also owned complicated cars that were unrelaible, like my old 733i.
The 733i is probably closer to the MGB in its complexity than it is to a W8 4Motion Passat, so the VW is probably something I will leave alone.
Complicated and unreliable are an expensive combination, which is kind of what I got from the thread Quattro Pete linked us to.

Originally Posted By: LOLVO
Are there any advantages to having W8 instead of V8?

Not really. The only reason VW used it on the Passat was because there wasn't enough space under the hood for a V8. Due to its construction, a W8 engine takes up less space. If I had a choice between the 4-liter W8 and the true and tried Audi/VW 4.2-liter V8, I'd choose the latter.

Last edited:
PM me, and I'll show you where I found the thing.
You are a braver man than I!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back