Sepentine Belt: Gates v. Goodyear v. Dayco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a gates quality stuff hands down. The belt did stretch but was still in good shape. I replaced it due to slippage. I've had no problem in stretching with the gator. For my application I'm sticking with the gator.

Due to the feedbacks here I picked up a Gates ($45) yesterday, and forwent the Gatorback and Dayco (both $30). I am going to put it in here in a couple of hours. Will let you know how it goes.

I am replacing the belt because it has 100K on it and the ribs on the back have cracks. Better safe than sorry kind of thing. You know, do it in my driveway on my own terms, or, have it towed in and done at a shop kind of deal.

Had a coworker over and we slipped it on in about 30 mins. Definitive a 2 man job, one hold the tensioner loose and one slip on the belt. Car purrs like a kitten now.

Oh and it was MADE IN THE USA. Do not know about these other house brands or Goodyear or Dayco. I used a couple of Daycos years ago on a Mazda Protege and they were made in Canada.

Doitmyself, thank you for the welcome. Answer to #1, belt company's engineers develop belt specs. OE specs may vary from application to application. Aftermarket belts fit many applications for a specific size.
Answer #2, aftermarket belts are not designed for worn sheeves. The new Dayco belt design helps to conform if worn. Belt noise is caused by misalignment and noise is the #1 complaint for belts.
Interesting observation concerning where I live. Would you believe that automotive belts are my passion? Probably not.:)
I will say that I spend lots of time with belt engineers. For the record, all 3 belts are very good. Some may work better with different applications.
One last thing, OE and OES (the belts you buy at the dealership) may be made by different manufactures. It's a bid process that continually changes.
Thanks
I'm a 3rd generation gearhead.
Cars include:
GMC Acadia
Impala
72 442 convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back