Phil Wood Waterproof Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this stuff recommended all the time. Just wondering if anyone knows what's in it. Is it just some regular white lithium grease with a nifty colour? Or is there more to it?

I'm curious, recommended for what application?

Personally, I've always thought of it as the Fram of bicycle greases, overpriced for what it is (green automotive bearing grease).

For bicycle applications I've always used cheap, auto bearing grease for applications where performance doesn't matter (bolts, seat posts, etc), and Krytox for the important and expensive stuff like bearings.

I couldn't imagine using Krytox in automotive applications, unless you're racing--and on an unlimited budget (or someone else's dime...) It's just way too expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
I'm curious, recommended for what application?

I'm on the BMX side of the house.

It's recommended as a general grease.. ie, on everything from threads to bearings. I generally recommend people use any decent quality white lithium grease that isn't sold by the bucket for low low prices.

Some argue with me, acting like Phil Wood is some sort of magic formula when I'm pretty sure it's just another white lithium grease. I'm essentially looking for some information that can back my argument up (and maybe defeat the magic grease myth and save some people some money in the process).

I wouldn't bother using Krytox on BMX bearings... they generally get destroyed from the abuse rather than poor lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back