What NOT to use? Stolen gas problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the gas stolen out of my tank 3x in my life. Once it damaged the sensor in the gas tank and the fuel level gauge never worked again.

I read on another board about a guy who kept having it happen to his truck. It was a significant problem, like 20-25 gallons gone once a week type of deal.

So he decided to take a 2 gallon red plastic gas tank, fill it with 1 gallon 87 octane gas, 1 quart boiled linseed oil, 1 quart shellac, and 2 quartsof whatever he had laying around.
Then he left the little red gas tank in the back of his truck.

A few days passed before one of his neighbors cars, driven by one of his neighbor's teenage sons, died.

The poster said he saw a tow truck picking up the car a few miles from his house.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys would add to this concoction.

What would you leave behind for someone stealing your gas to take?

(BTW, I thought adding some styrofoam peanuts to the gasoline would help things gel up a bit.)

A good dose of "do not steal" would do wonders...

I'm not sure I believe that those chemicals would cause a car to explode. Heck, gas is pretty explosive in itself and it doesn't cause the car to blow up...

i think that is an urban legend, i have heard a few variants of it. that said i think it MUST have happened somewhere before.

A nice dose of 12 gauge 00 buckshot would do the trick. How about some of that magic they were using to huff the engines for the clunker program mixed into gas? Beach sand, gas and water, even if they figured it out before they poured it in their gas tank it would still be worth it. Too bad Rocky isn't with me anymore, 100+ lbs of a very strong and highly motivated dog being let out the door. RIP Rocky!

I think I'd go the oil route so you'd see the billowing clouds from the culprit rather than the sugar route...then their car will die somewhere else and you'd never know who it was.

a cup of honey / sugar/ molasses will severely cripple the computer system and cause the car to go straight to the shop. mechanics will scratch their heads and replace all kinds of parts to no avail until the gas burns off and the car runs normal. then they think they have fixed it.
$500-$2000 later the car is "better". you get the last laugh.

I'd think the linseed oil, shellac, maybe something like some turpentine mixed in to some old lawnmower gas would do the trick.

In my mind you want the guy to get a few miles before he figures out that there is a problem. You want the stuff to build carbon all over his engine and finally seize it at high temp, hopefully when he is out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a cold night.
I don't think you can get a modern day engine to literally grenade, but I imagine that if you added the right things to the gas you could significantly shorten the life of the upper half of his engine.

Sure You won't know who it is. But you also don't want him to figure it out, remember he knows where he got the small can of gas from.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Sure You won't know who it is. But you also don't want him to figure it out, remember he knows where he got the small can of gas from.

I'd want him to know where he got the gas from, and come and pay me a visit.

Gas stealing is a common problem at the sand dunes around here. Cant leave any gas cans out at night or they disapear.

Those in the know leave a special gas can out for the theives. The contents range from old stale gas to used motor oil. My favorite is swimming pool acid with some gas mixed in so that it smells like gas.

Swimming pool acid will eat anything metal and especially aluminum in a hurry. Things like fuel tank petcocks, carburators and even aluminum pistons if it stays in the part for a few minutes or more.

If your lucky the theif will fill up his bike soon after taking my special mix and it will sit and eat things all night. Since these guys sleep in late(because they were up all night stealing gas) that gives the acid even more time to ruin things.

Sometimes they pour it into their motorhome gas tank
cheers3.gif

I'd mix them up some nice old rotten gas with waste oil, and some beach sand for good measure. I'd be sure they knew where the special blend came from. Heck I'd put my name on the container along with the address.

Maybe some oil based wood stain, or some polyurethane.

I'm just having fun with the idea. What can I say?
I kind of like breaking stuff.

Ours was named Apollo, and weighed >130 lbs.
He was also very protective of our cars, since he enjoyed riding in them.
A large, protective dog trumps either a security system or deadbolt locks every time, plus the dog is a loyal member of the family.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

If your vehicle was left outside where they could steal the gas in the first place they aren't going to knock on the door, they'll just destroy your vehicle where it sits.

It'll end up costing you more than it cost them.

At least with the heavy dose of oil to make a smoker it could reasonably be two-stoke mix and not on purpose.

Heck, just fill the red can with diesel... "It was diesel, moron, don't steal my gas..."

Last edited:
id go with the shot gun method, at least that's how us country boys do it. as the song goes a country boy will survive. And if you don't want to kill em just load your shot shells with rock salt......

I've done this before. Some jerk siphoned out my old truck, and left the gas door open and the cap off. He left the cap in the street where it got ran over, and leaving the door open let in the water from the major rainstorm.
mad.gif

I left an old gas can I had that I was going to throw away anyway because it leaked in the bed of the truck. I filled it with about half old gas, half diesel, and most importantly, a heavy dose of valve lapping compound. I don't know who took it, but after a couple weeks in the back of the truck it disappeared...

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

If your vehicle was left outside where they could steal the gas in the first place they aren't going to knock on the door, they'll just destroy your vehicle where it sits.

It'll end up costing you more than it cost them.

At least with the heavy dose of oil to make a smoker it could reasonably be two-stoke mix and not on purpose.

I wouldn't expect them to come a knocking. I guess being born and raised in East NY before moving to Long Island I look at things through different glasses. Now living in WA I'm surrounded by nice people, its just different here. Anyway trust me they be pouring a cocktail into their tank they'd never forget.
cheers3.gif
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back