Oil Extreme, anybody ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I race 4wheelers cross country in a local series in east Texas. I was on the phone a couple weeks ago talking to an ATV engine builder(he knows I like oil), and he tells me about this oil he's taken a liking to. Says it's great stuff, quiets the valves in Honda 450s like no other he says. Dynoed an extra half horsepower on the same Honda 450R engine. Says that engines get quieter and smoother when used longer. Well I'm always an oil sceptic for claims like that and I was dancing around his claims trying to be diplomatic(I may want him to do some work for me). Anyway he decided without input from me to send me 4 quarts of this oil for me to try out. The engine hold two quarts so I'll run two for a race, dump it and take a sample after the second race weekend. I got the oil in today and now I'm a little worried, it's 5w30 and says it meets SM specs. Oh no, my poor engine. Does anyone know anything about this oil?

Here's a pic:
DSC02093.jpg

I don't know about the 450's, but my crf250r can turn 15w-40 and 20w-50 into water fast in the Texas heat. Not so sure that i'd run that thin.

From http://www.oilextreme.com:
Oil Extreme™ "Better Than Synthetic" Motor Oil is specially formulated using the new Group III, very highly refined, hydrocracked and catalytic dewaxed petroleum base oil. This "white water" as it is called is so pure that it is crystal clear. It is processed in special plants built by several major oil companies, under high temperatures and pressures to remove all the sulfur, nitrogen and oxygen compounds that normal solvent extraction processes can't remove.
By eliminating these harmful compounds in the base oil it is possible to formulate engine oils with oxidation stability equal to or greater than products based on 100% synthetic oils. They have excellent thermal degradation properties, and perform especially well in high-temperature applications like racing.

And:
An API approved standard additive package is added to this special hydrocracked base stock.
Next, the Oil Extreme™ extreme pressure calcium carbonate additive package booster is integrated. This further enhances the thermal stability and oxidation properties, but most importantly it gives extreme pressure capabilities no other oil in the world has.

From their website.... ( rolls eyes )

================================================================

ARE GAS & DIESEL PRICES KILLING YOU?

SAVE $10 ON EVERY FILL-UP!

Just By Using OilExtreme™ "Better Than Synthetic" Motor Oil

OILEXTREME™ WILL GIVE YOU 10% BETTER GAS MILEAGE &

SAFELY EXTEND YOUR OIL DRAIN INTERVAL 2-3 TIMES.

marketed to the uniformed IMHO. Everything they say about grp 3 is true, but it's nothing special or anything that isn't in any psuedo synthetic oil available off the shelf any where. Bragging on the calcium cabonate isn't impressive either, what they say is true, but it too is in any off the shelf oil, lot's of it in diesel oils. Saying that it gives extreme pressure ability blah blah. Quite contrary, detergent additives like that compete for space with the anti wear extreme pressure adds. Why diesel oils aren't "all that" like people think, and why pure race oils don't use much of that additive. Sounds to like a grp3 5w30 that uses a CI or CJ add pack, instead of SM. Proabaly OK but I wouldn't give too much money for it just based on their advertising.

Originally Posted By: 72customdeluxe
I don't know about the 450's, but my crf250r can turn 15w-40 and 20w-50 into water fast in the Texas heat. Not so sure that i'd run that thin.

My Raptor 700R shreads all, I've even run and tested Red Line Racing 40wt and it shreaded than too. I've run Maxima 530MX and the engine survived, but I didn't like the way the engine sounded and the increased vibration. I will run the oil only because the engine builder that sent it to me agreed to rebuild my engine if it takes a dumb with this oil in it. Here goes nothing...

Originally Posted By: wileyE
marketed to the uniformed IMHO. Everything they say about grp 3 is true, but it's nothing special or anything that isn't in any psuedo synthetic oil available off the shelf any where. Bragging on the calcium cabonate isn't impressive either, what they say is true, but it too is in any off the shelf oil, lot's of it in diesel oils. Saying that it gives extreme pressure ability blah blah. Quite contrary, detergent additives like that compete for space with the anti wear extreme pressure adds. Why diesel oils aren't "all that" like people think, and why pure race oils don't use much of that additive. Sounds to like a grp3 5w30 that uses a CI or CJ add pack, instead of SM. Proabaly OK but I wouldn't give too much money for it just based on their advertising.

I couldn't believe he sent it to me, I sort of feel obligated to run it now. The guy is a well respected engine builder in the ATV community and he sent me the oil for free so I could test it for him. I'm sort of the guinnea pig, but honestly, my engine is getting long in the tooth for a race engine and probably will soon be due for a new top end so short of a catastrophic failure (not likely IMO) I don't feel like I have much to loose and may have more to gain in sponsorship from this engine builder.

Honda does spec 30w on all their small race 4 strokes, usually a 10w30 though. The effects of windage on a thick oil can often create more problems than lack of viscosity on these small high reving no-sump motors. Just don't leave it in there too long. I wasn't bashing the product it may be good, just thinking aloud on their choice of marketing verbage.

Last edited:
if it was truely "clear" then i wouldn't be able to see it very well in the bottle now would i?

yes, sample the 2nd run of it. run it hard.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
if it was truely "clear" then i wouldn't be able to see it very well in the bottle now would i?

yes, sample the 2nd run of it. run it hard.

You got it boss
thumbsup2.gif

Honda doesn't normally recommend any 10w30 weight for my bike atleast. It shows 10w-30 from -15 to around 70 degrees, and 10w-40 is rated for just as low, but you can run it in any heat. 20w-50 is also acceptable. So it sounds to me like the 40 weight is what they want you to run. Plus it's below 70 like 3 days a year here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back