Do I want passenger or LT tire for a truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier (265-75/16). I'm looking at snows and have picked General Alitmax Arctics. The guy on the phone asked "passenger or LT?" Told him I'd get back to him. I looked in the owner's manual and read the OEM tire's sidewall, but there is no LT designation or mention of it anywhere -- so I assume I just need a regular passenger tire.

Is there any advantage in stepping up to LT? (The truck never sees heavy loads.) I noticed that the tread depth is a bit deeper. I'm guessing that the LTs are stiffer, provide less grip and offer a harsher ride, but with the trade off being longer tread life.

These "passenger" tires cost only $118 which is considerably less than $185 for the vaunted Blizzaks (sp.). They are also rated the best according to CR.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T13/AltiMAX-Arctic

Passenger tire would be my choice since you are not hauling loads.

Tire life is going to be the same with either tire. There are 2 places where a LT tire is better.

1. Can carry loads better and can handle higher air pressures (A P245/75 - 16LT tire has a max pressure from 65-90psi. A P245/75-16 max is from 35-44PSI)

2. Because of the extra ply, a LITTLE less chance of a nail/screw puncture and the sidewalls are stronger.

My truck has LT tires on it and while its nice to put in a more air and have the tires looking good when there is a load, they sure ride REAL rough. I'll be in the market for new tires in the next year or so and I'm going to prob find a good Passenger tire with a max tire pressure of 44PSI and call it a day.

I don't want to spend the extra $30-$60 per tire for something I will not use too often. (When I do carry a load, its only around town so no high speed operation)

Take care, bill

From the size, I take it that you've got a NISMO. A tire with a 114 load index minimum would be suitable for the truck. It doesn't have to be an LT designated tire. The less expensive 116Q rated version of the General Altimax Arctic will work fine.

Cheers

If heavy pulling, towing, I'd go with an LT tire. But MUCH more costly, at least they are for my diesel. Mine are 10 ply.

But considering you drive a nissan frontier, P rated tire should be plenty sufficient for you.

RL

Regular tires have a "P" in front of the tire size? If so, get the "passenger" version and call it a day. The LT tires will be way overkill in this application, and will weigh more causing a mileage decrease as well.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Regular tires have a "P" in front of the tire size?

Not necessarily. There are "P-metric" and "Euro Metric" tire size designations. The dimensions of two tires using the same numerical designation will be similar, even if one is a P-metric and the other a Euro Metric. Differences will be reflected by variances in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables.

If the tire sticker on your door (or wherever) doesn't specify LT's, I'd use the passengers. Better ride/mileage/less cost.
thumbsup2.gif

General makes good tires!!
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Good info here, except part of the Fire Marshal's...Rob, show me the ten plies of sidewall cord in those tires. What, exactly, does the fine print on the tire say? I'll bet it says that those tires have two or three plies of cord in the sidewalls. There are not even any four ply tires for sale except some off-road desert racing tires with super stiff sidewalls.

Anyway, many, many light truck tires have the size starting with P. Anyone care to tell Goodyear that their Wrangler series of tires are really passenger car tires? Ditto for Michelin's LTX series; ditto for Bridgestone's Duelers, etc., etc.

The mob has spoken. I've got my credit card warmed up and will go for the passenger tires. Thanks guys!

On that size truck P-metric is fine. If you wanted to get LT rated tires make sure you only get load range C, load range D,E will give you an extremely rough ride.

Sometimes LT rated have deeper tread so its worth a few more bucks.

For instance on toyo opencountry AT the p-metric are 13/32nd
and the LT are 17/32nd depth.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Anyway, many, many light truck tires have the size starting with P. Anyone care to tell Goodyear that their Wrangler series of tires are really passenger car tires? Ditto for Michelin's LTX series; ditto for Bridgestone's Duelers, etc., etc.

I think your talking about the "light truck" market segment rather than the "Light Truck" tire service description. Take, for example, the Michelin LTX M/S. You can say that it's a light truck tire, but they actually have both Passenger sizes and LT sizes...and sometimes in the same size even (such as P235/75R15 and LT235/75R15):

Michelin LTX M/S Spec Sheet on Tire Rack.com

Tire Rack's spec sheet doesn't indicate the "P" or "LT" in front of the tire size, but you can still tell. The P235/75R15 has UTQG ratings (500/A/B), with a 108S service description. The LT235/75R15 does not have UTQG ratings (as a general rule, LT tires do not), and it has a service description of 104/101R. It gives two load ratings, one for single tire service and one for dual tire service.

You can also see that the dry weight of the LT tire is heavier than the P tire, and its maximum inflation rating is higher as well (50 PSI vs. 41 psi).

So, "Light Truck" tires (if you're talking about the actual LT designator) will NEVER have a size starting with P (it'll be LT). If you're talking about the light truck tire market segment, then yes, you can have a mix of P and LT sizes.

Another distinction: you're actually under-inflating an LT tire if you inflate it to what the vehicle manufacturer recommended for a P-metric tire. (30 PSI for example.) LT tires generally require a higher inflation pressure (even unloaded) to resist damage.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Regular tires have a "P" in front of the tire size?

Not necessarily. There are "P-metric" and "Euro Metric" tire size designations. The dimensions of two tires using the same numerical designation will be similar, even if one is a P-metric and the other a Euro Metric. Differences will be reflected by variances in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables.

Technically correct, but for this particular tire in this size, General only offers one LT version (Load Range E, max inflation of 80psi) or a Standard Load Tire with a max inflation of 51 psi. In the context of this particular car and tire, my answer is correct. If a P series tire is on it now, then the "passenger verison" is the correct tire.

Interesting to note that the Standard Load and E range tire weigh exactly the same.

I think the dealer may have oversimplified a bit, as the SUV/pickup sizes aren't truly "P" rated tires. Nowhere in their size designation, or physicaly on the tire is there a "P" in the size. More correct would be to call them "standard load" vs "LT". In a very few of the older sizes (235/75R15 comes immediately to mind) there are actually all three, P-metric, standard load, and LT. The size you need has never been on a car, and usually (though not allways) simply has numbers only (except that darned "R"). They are all designed for more severe service that true "P" tires.

Whoever stated "there are no 10ply sidewalls" is correct,,,,almost. Load carrying ratings are based on SIZE of cord, not number count. Even "a goose with a little bitty head" can tell the difference between one ply of 10lb test monofilament fishing line, and the one ply monofilament used by a weed eater, even though their basically the same chemical makeup. The two plies in a LR-E tire are equal in strength to ten plies of "P" cord. The only case of true over two ply actual cord manufacture is (or used to be) airplane tires. You'd hope they don't stay in rolling contact with asphalt long enough to build damaging heat!

Bob

Snows have squishy sidewalls, it helps them do their job. LTs would be firm and the opposite of what you want for traction.

Good job, boys! Lots o' good info.

And people should note that there is a VAST difference in how real load range E tires ride.

We have a fleet and have found the Michelins to be exceptional performers. Expensive, but worth it.

I run 8 ply 285/55-20 BFG AT's in the summer, they look better than the 275/55-20's being a bit bigger, more agressive tread, and I run gravel, more plys the better for gravel. But my winters, no LT's for winter for me, I might consider them if there was one available, but the gravel roads are plowed smooth and much better in the winter so 4 plys do the job just fine without puncture issues. If I haul a load, the biggest is around 1,200lb's, I crank up the psi, done.

If you haul lots of weight and feel it's a bit sloppy, or need extra punture resistence, go LT. None of this applys, stick with a 4 ply, you'll get the better ride, cheaper to purchase, and better mpg with a lighter casing.

so true, and if you shop there are many larger sizes of 'regular tires' with extended load ratings/higher PSI capabilities that can easily handle the occasional load.

Basically if you're not a full one ton rated truck and using it that way you won't need a Load range E tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back