10w-40 ok for an aircooled 650 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
Well I just bought a suzuki s40/savage. I gas a single cylinder 650 aircooled. The case has stamped 10w-40 on it.
I was wondering, this oil seems a little thin - especially during high heat August weather..... probably fine for Oct/Nov driving.
My other bikes have all been liquid cooled -
I thought that 20w-50 was recommended for air cooled engines ?

What do you guys think?
thanks

So Suzuki recommends 10W-40 for it, as per the stamp on the engine case?

My guess is either would work just fine. I doubt 50-weight is an automatic "requirement" for air-cooled. It may well be the settled choice for Harley owners, but it may not be "required" in any mechanical sense of the word.

I ... can't ... keep ... my ... fingers ... from ... typing ...

Rotella 15W-40!

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I thought that 20w-50 was recommended for air cooled engines?

This is far from SOP.

If they're recommending 10-40, use 10-40.
thumbsup2.gif

Or 15-40, to make TDon happy.
grin2.gif

I'd avoid every automotive 10W-40 oil. Those engines are noted for somewhat rapid timing chain wear. Use your choice of any very robust oil. A diesel 5W-40 syn would be a good choice in moderate or cool weather. I prefer a 50 wt in hot weather so the hottest points inside the engine get good protection.

By the way, I had a Savage. Fun bike. A fork brace from Tkat is a huge help with stability. Use any tires except the cheapo OEM IRCs. EBC FA106 brake pads have better feel than stock, and no squeak, but require a bit more grip effort. suzukisavage.com has a good forum with some well informed posters. Rejetting the carb is a big help, and all the instructions are there.

If it were mine, I would run Shell Rotella 15W40 in cold weather and a good 20W50 (I use Golden Spectro) in warm weather.

Can't comment on the Savage engine but I have owned two Suzuki air cooled ATVs. Owned them for twenty three years and ran mostly Rotella T 15W40 in them. Flogged them mercilessly without any engine problems - ever. I'm talking very hard worked engines being thrashed through very harsh conditions. Oil changes, valve adjustments and cleaning of the air filter is pretty much all that they saw. Not sure if today's engines are as tough as the old ones were. If they are, that Suzuki engine will probably outlast your ownership of the bike using any decent quality oil.

Nicholas,
These guys are steering you right, a 15w40 is a great oil for this bike. Delvac or Rotella would be a fine choice in yoru application.

Maybe Sunruh will chime in here.

He's got a lot of air-cooled motorcycle experience.

ME? I run Rotella 15W-40 in my Harleys from about October thru May and then 20W-50 something-or-another for the summer.

Is there an oil coller on that Suzuki?

No oil cooler -
I would prob change it out sooner before buying an additional cooler
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back