Any ideas as to what would cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here is the deal. I am doing a run of ARX and i cut open a purolator classic before I did the clean phase and the pleats inside the filter on both sides of the metal strip that clamps the media together had been torn from both ends of the metal end caps. I just finished the clean phase with a napa gold filter and the same thing had happened but only on one pleat but still torn away from both ends of whatever they glue it with. This is on the accord BTW. Any ideas?

While from 1998-2008 the Accord spec's different filters (51334/51356), they both have an 8-11 bypass valve in WIX. The Purolator probably spec's a slightly higher one.

What visc oil are you running?

For the clean phase I used Mobil 5000 10w30. For the filter I cut before I began the ARX treatment I used 10w30 Formula Shell.

Nothing radical on the oil. It would be unlikely that you got two filters in a row to breach at the seam.

Out of all the filters I've cut open, I've yet to have this happen to me. I mean ..I've surely seen it here on BITOG, but multiples for the same person ..across two filter man's is up there in odds.

You were running the specified filter? Even so, any filter should be built to take more than the bypass psid.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
ARX must have eaten the filter glue!

LOL!

Yea I would have thought that too if it hadnt been for the first filter I cut into. The pleats that are torn are actually torn just past where the glue stops so the part of the pleat that was glued is still intact.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Nothing radical on the oil. It would be unlikely that you got two filters in a row to breach at the seam.

Out of all the filters I've cut open, I've yet to have this happen to me. I mean ..I've surely seen it here on BITOG, but multiples for the same person ..across two filter man's is up there in odds.

It is strange. Two different brands even. Guess I will see how the purolator that is on it now looks after 3000.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
OK here is the deal. I am doing a run of ARX and i cut open a purolator classic before I did the clean phase and the pleats inside the filter on both sides of the metal strip that clamps the media together had been torn from both ends of the metal end caps. I just finished the clean phase with a napa gold filter and the same thing had happened but only on one pleat but still torn away from both ends of whatever they glue it with. This is on the accord BTW. Any ideas?

I'm assuming this is on the Subaru. Not sure what the oil pump volume rating is on your car, but some Subys have 12 GPM pumps.

It's possible the cleaning treatment has caused enough pressure difference across the filter media (due to media loading) that the bypass valve couldn't handle the higher flow, which could possibly cause a pressure delta across the media much higher than the bypass valve setting. Plus, there could be pressure spikes/pulsations initially at the moment the bypass valve tries to open and before the valve can adjust and compensate.

How did the media look as far as crud captured? Do you run this engine in the high RPM range alot?

Like others said, make sure filter is the correct one. Check oil pressure, maybe engine oil pressure relief valve is defective, which is pretty rare I think. Sounds like runaway oil pressure combined with full media, given it happened twice. Or maybe just normal psi pressure overcomes the bypass and the full media can't hold. Maybe when in bypass a long time the extra stress on the media for so long causes it to fail. This is where a window on a filter would be nice.

The media didnt have any gunk or crud in it just pretty dark in color. I bought this as a cheap commuter car so 85% of its time is spent on the highway which is aroun 3K rpm.

Filter media pores could be blocked with particles not much bigger, but still not obvious to your eye. You would expect the ARX to have loosened some bigger stuff too.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
OP mentions this happened on his Honda Accord.

This is a strange occurrence.

Doh ... I didn't see him mention it was the Accord when I first read it.

Yes, something is definitely going on if two different filters failed the same way. Some good suggestions here ... checking the oil pressure with a separate gauge is a good idea too, as the pump's pressure relief valve could certainly be malfunctioning. I think crud in the filters from the cleaning is a major factor too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back