2002 ford escape: rear door will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.
not from the inside, not from the outside. when you hit the remote, you can hear it "unlocking" so its not electrical. i suppose the cable has come unlatched.

however, how can i remove the inner door trim and stuff with the door closed? is that even possible? how else can i unlock that door? once it is open, i would think it would be easy to actually diagnose and then fix, but with the door closed....

thoughts please!

You should be able to remove the panel. First remove the lower seat cushion.. second remove all screws (can't remember how many should be 2-3). The panel will lift up -don't try to pry it out - just pull up and it'll come off easy. I don't have access to our Escape right now will in a couple hours. I put new speakers in ours and amazed how it easy it was.

quick question. so i can't even manually open the door (with the inside and outside door handles), does this probably mean the actuator has frozen in the locked position?

also, i hear that for 2002 ford escapes, the actuator is just a part of a door latch assembly and is not servicable by itself. anyone know if this is true? when i look at online parts catalogs some list an actuator some only list an entire assembly. i do not have the door opened up, so i can't tell (and so i don't actually know the problem just, just trying to plan ahead).

Last edited:
I think you need to just pull it apart and see. I've never heard of a problem like yours so it's most likely something simple.

Well if it's an integrated unit like they use in a 2000 Cougar...

You're screwed!

Big time!

My daughter's 2000 Cougar has an integrated lock assembly that jammed in the lock position. Even if you did get the door panel off you can't get it unlocked. At least mine wouldn't... even after I removed it from the car. So how did I get it out? I removed the back seat and side panel to get at the bolts for the striker. The bolts were extended about a 1/4" past the reinforcing plate and I was able to back them off a little using vise-grips. Then I used a saws-all to cut the bolts and open the door. Since the lock mech was still locked... and wouldn't budge even though I could now get at it, I had to cut the striker off the lock to get the lock out.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back