MicroGreen Filter Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just completed a 10,988 mile OCI on my '03 Highlander using Mobil 1 5W-30 motor oil. I used a Napa Gold filter for the first 6k miles then changed over to a MicroGreen filter. I had a UOA done and cut open the filter to see how it was constructed. Here is what I found:

Here is a photo of the filter:
P1010168.jpg

This filter is roughly the same size as the stock filter. Here is a photo of the filter next to a Napa Gold filter:
P1010171.jpg

A picture of the base plate:
P1010170.jpg

After cutting the filter open, here is what it looked like:
P1010172.jpg

Notice the plastic bypass unit on the end opposite of the baseplate. Here is a photo looking in the filter from the baseplate end. There was a butyl rubber Anti-drainback valve that did a pretty good job. When I cut the filter open, lots of oil spilled out. Notice the spiral wound perforated steel tube inside:
P1010174.jpg

Here is a photo of the bypass end. A heavy spring is used to keep the unit snug against the baseplate:
P1010179.jpg

This is what it looks like with the spring and the metal cover plate removed:
P1010180.jpg

That dark surface is the top of the sintered PTFE (teflon) bypass disc.

This bypass section comes in two plastic units. The outer section holds the sintered PTFE bypass media, and the inner section holds the bypass valve. In the photo below, I have removed the outer section, exposing the top of the bypass valve. Note that all of the oil that is filtered by the PTFE media goes through that small hole in the inner section.
P1010181.jpg

In the photo below I am pushing down on the bypass valve:
P1010182.jpg

Here is a close-up photo of the top of the PTFE disc:
P1010183.jpg

More to come on the next post.

The photo below shows all of the components. Notice that I have taken the bypass valve apart and show all of the parts. The bypass valve is very well built. It has a simple construction, which is easy to assemble/disassemble by hand.
P1010190.jpg

I cut open the outer section with the PTFE to see what it looked like. As soon as I cut it with a hacksaw, I realized that it just snaps into the plastic holder:
P1010194.jpg

Here is a side photo of the PTFE bypass media:
P1010195.jpg

Notice that it is quite thin - I measured it to be .085" thick. It's not exactly depth filtration.

Here is what I think of the filter:

The entire unit is definitely well constructed. All components are well built, and nothing appeared to be flimsy. I can't tell what type of filter media the full-flow section is using but based on the appearance and texture, it looks like it is probably a synthetic media.

The one thing I found surprising was the thickness of the bypass media. I guess it doesn't have to be thick to restrict flow of larger particles through a sintered media, but I don't see much volume that can hold particulates. It appears to be effective, but I'd be leery of expecting it to capture a large volume of particulates in a greatly extended OCI. The manufacturer’s website suggests that you change the filter at double the recommended OCI (eg: from 3-5K to 6-10K) but keep the oil in the engine over multiple filter changes, from 24,000 to 30,000 miles. In my opinion this filter change regimen might be fine for this OCI for keeping particulates out but you’d be pushing most oils to have any TBN left over this OCI.

Based on the UOA I had done when I completed the OCI, I'd say that it appears to be doing a good job. It doesn't look like it's as efficient as conventional bypass filters, but it's probably doing a better job than a conventional full-flow filter. The UOA results on my Honda S2000 with an Amsoil BMK-13 setup are better, but that would be expected given the construction and size of the Amsoil bypass filters.

I think this filter is a little pricey for the benefit it provides. I paid around $25 plus shipping for this filter. Their cost savings claims are a little far-fetched considering the price of the filter and the length of time recommended for each filter.

The obvious benefit is its ease of use. It just spins on like any full-flow filter, making it very easy to use. I'm just not convinced of the cost benefit.

maybe in a an application such as a FL1A style filter? My Dodge ram uses the shorter Chrysler version of it, may be better in a larger package?

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Microgreen filter. It's a well built filter. Just not worth $25.

Good job on the break down.

I'm curious why such an expensive compound was used for the base cap bypass element. PTFE isn't cheap compared to many others of like temp tolerance.

Very, very interesting design that filter uses. Seems to me to be a modern version of the STP 'Silver Bullet' twin media filter of the 1970's - getting more filtration out of a simple canister filter.

Thanks for this.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
That fleetguard looks awesome. Is that thing available for any auto fitments?

Well, it is almost a foot long, so I'm thinking probably not.

They do make synthetic glass media filters sold with the Stratapore name on them, that's what I'm running on the Expedition. It would be very neat to be able to run something like this for sure though.

Other options are Baldwin and Donaldson. They both have spin-on bypass filters. Not sure which is better, but both have different perspectives on what is more effective.

Cost is a definite issue. Sometimes I believe in simply changing the oil and filter more often. Less cost, less unknowns. But there's a part of me always seeking something better and hoping for some innovation.

We all strive to achieve the better mouse trap. Going with the herd will get you there just fine..but sometimes you just have to break formation. Imagine if that one cave man didn't try and roll the log instead of just dragging it like the rest of the crowd??
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Very, very interesting design that filter uses. Seems to me to be a modern version of the STP 'Silver Bullet' twin media filter of the 1970's - getting more filtration out of a simple canister filter.

Thanks for this.
I remember those filters, do you remember the Lee filters with a filtered bypass?

Diesel Toyota Hi Lux pick-ups used a filter like the Stratpore that had a built in bypass section at the one end. It was to keep soot and such down to extend engine life.

Does Fleet Guard make one of those filters with treads and such the size of a Fram PH8A if so a a filter relocation kit would easily allow a lot of people on here to take advatage of bypass filtration in a dispossable format. My Trasko requires me to buy their elements which are not expensive $10 per element and each element comes with new orings seals and new base plate seal etc...... They recomend the first time you use it to keep it to six months because of all the carbon it will trap that is in the engine after the first time though it is good for once a year changes!

I went through all the Venturi combo numbers that would xref to Wix (many do). There are like 5 in the 95mm thread.

About the only thing sensible in our terms is the light duty Cummins thread 1-16 ..which is designated for a Kubota. It has no bypass valve.

Here's what it looks like in Wix for size reference.

Part Number: 57620XE
UPC Number: 765809526204
Principal Application: Extra Efficiency Version Of 57620 - Has Fluted Can (can use in place of 51607)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper/Glass
Height: 7.000
Outer Diameter Top: 3.690
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/25
Burst Pressure-PSI: 378
Max Flow Rate: 12-15 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 14

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.830 2.440 0.225

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT36043.pdf

I found this document on the Fleetguard website that talks all about oil filtration and bypass filtration and lists all the venturi combo filters way down on page 17. They list the LF9333 as a 1 1/2-12 UNS 2B when it is actually a 2 1/2-12 UNS 2B. Same thread as the LF9325 or the LF9008. I like those pictures of the disected filters. http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT32599_03.pdf

Last edited:
I have to say that the MICRO GREEN oil filter works really good.

- I had the filter for about 25.000 miles on my 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS 2.0L 4 cyl., saved around $100 so far. I changed the filter a few weeks ago but I didn't change the oil.
- I took a sample of oil from my car and sent it to a lab to be analyse, I'm waiting for the results.
- What I found out is that the PTFE filter or what SOMS TECHNOLOGIES calls MICRO FILTER filtrates particles down to 2 microns when normal full flow filters filtrates particles down to 14 microns.
- They used PTFE because it is the most stable material for the conditions, such as OIL PRESSURE and OIL TEMPERATURE.
- MICRO GREEN filters are available in different sizes for different cars. From small cars to trucks just go to [dead link] to find the right filter for your car.
- You can also calculate your savings by using the CALCULATOR on the Micro Green website.

Thanks for the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back