PUREONE BETA RATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need. I'm the only one who's not convinced that both are totally true. The first reported ones ..or the second ..and the second that were reaffirmed as being true ..making the first ones not necessarily wrong ..but not in agreement.

Soup gave us the definitive reason why my objection would not be sustained. He knows this is fact ..and that's good enough for me.

Don't bother yourself. Sealed deal.

Carry on!

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
There is no "magic" involved to make an automotive filter perform as good or better than a hydraulic filter ... the EaO and other top tier filters can also do it. So, it seems the real heartburn here is: "How can a PureONE do the same thing at half or a third of the cost of all other top tier filters?" Isn't that the real quandary here?

I really don't get the hang up.
21.gif

PureONE is similar in price (in Canada) to the Donaldson Synteq and Fleetguard Stratapore filters.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS

MICRON SIZE -- 5 10 15 20 25 30 40
PureOne -- 51.3% 92.8% 99.20% 99.9% 100% 100% 100%

Katrina S. Hull
-------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have contacted our Quality Engineering Department in regards to your request. Please see details below.

Katrina S. Hull
-------------------------------------------------

Hi Katrina,

Here are the Beta Ratios for the PureOne that was requested.
Below I put the standard beta ratio chart for comparison.

Micron 5 = B4.8
Micron 10 = B50
Micron 15 = B1000
Micron 20 = B1000
---------------------------------------------------------
Standard
You would typically see
Beta Ratio Efficiency
2....................50%
10....................90%
20....................95%
75....................98.7%
100....................99%
200....................99.5%
1000....................99.9%
----------------------------------------------------------
Using the standard ratio numbers here is our PureONE.
(> = greater than; µm = microns)

B2 = below 5 µm
B10 = 6.69 µm
B20 = >8 µm
B75 = >11 µm
B100 = 11.42 µm
B200 = >13 µm
B1000 = >15 µm

I hope this isn't too confusing.
Best regards,
Brian

The first set of beta numbers (in red above) look more realistic than the second set (in blue above). The second set says it's 99.9% efficient (Beta 1000) at 15 microns instead of 20 microns like Purolator advertises (red beta numbers).

SHAMUS - did you ask for the beta ratio of a specific PureONE filter number? ... or just PureONEs in general? Could be if you asked for a specific filter it comes in better than their nominal rating (99.9% @ 20u) that they advertise for the filters. Just a thought.

Per Purolator 10/7/09: The “micronic” media in PureOne oil filters is a synthetic glass & paper blend. PureOne oil filters are only made/recommended for standard OEM recommended change intervals (up to 7500 miles or so). They are NOT recommended for extended OCI’s. You’d need 100% synthetic media with wire backing for extended drain durability & effective filter life.

Note that the Amsoil EaO oil filters (with apprx the same efficiency) have 100% synthetic media & wire backing.

Due to price & efficiency, it looks like PureOne filters are a great deal for anyone NOT doing extended oil/filter change intervals.

The Purolator site says their PureONE can go to 15k. SuperBusa: No, not for a specific filter. Hopefully, if he responds, he will state which one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yota4me
Here, it looks like they're recommending 3,000 mile oil/filter changes. Where did you find the 15,000 mile effective life?

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/news/pages/changeyouroilandfilter.aspx

Just a ploy to sell more filters IMO. Only time I'd change oil/filter at 3000 miles is if the conditions were totally brutal (towing constantly, dusty, etc) or I was using super cheapo oil & filter.

The Purolator site says their PureONE can go to 15k. SuperBusa: No, not for a specific filter. Hopefully, if he responds, he will state which one.

It's probably for the one they reference on the box and on their website: "*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001".

At the bottom of that page, there is a chart for recommendations between their Classic filter and PureONE. It clearly indicates (to me, anyway) that the PureONE is recommended for use "over 15k." Use the "PRO" site on their web and email them to be specific in their reply to you. However, I can see that they do leave it somewhat vague; post their reply to you please.

Last edited:
At the bottom of that page, there is a chart for recommendations between their Classic filter and PureONE. It clearly indicates (to me, anyway) that the PureONE is recommended for use "over 15k."

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

Actually, they state "over" 15k.

I still don't know what to make of that info from Purolator. It doesn't really come out and directly say the PureONE is good for 15K + OCIs.

I don't see anything there about oil/filter change intervals.

True ... they are saying choose a PureONE if you drive over 15,000 per year. What's that really mean? I could choose any filter if I drive over 15,000 miles per year if I change it per the vehicle manufactures specs!
21.gif
The Purolator info is ambiguous IMO.

At the bottom of that page, there is a chart for recommendations between their Classic filter and PureONE. It clearly indicates (to me, anyway) that the PureONE is recommended for use "over 15k."

I see the chart, I just interpret different.

What's your interpretation?

Use PureOne if :
1) You have a low mileage vehicle & drive under 15,000 miles per year
2) you have a high mileage vehicle & drive over 15,000 miles per year (this could be 30,000+ for some)
3) you drive in stop & go traffic
4) you do highway driving with your vehicle
5) you want the grip control feature

Again, I'm not seeing anything about oil/filter change intervals.

Last edited:

Use PureOne if :
1) You have a low mileage vehicle & drive under 15,000 miles per year
2) you have a high mileage vehicle & drive over 15,000 miles per year (this could be 30,000+ for some)
3) you drive in stop & go traffic
4) you do highway driving with your vehicle
5) you want the grip control feature

Again, I'm not seeing anything about oil/filter change intervals.

Yes, it's clear they do NOT come out and specifically say anything about OCIs. I think we all agree on that.

Actually, there is nothing in the chart that really clearly says or relates to a vehicle having high or low mileage on the odometer (as you have indicated, as shown in red text above) ... only on how many miles are driven per year. I could have a brand new car with 5 miles on it today that will have 25K miles on it in a year.

So what's the difference if you drive 15K+ miles per year if you change the filter per manufacture's recommendations? - almost any filter will work if you change oil/filter every 3K miles. That's why I say it's ambiguous info.

PurolatorOilChart.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back