Oil, Oil, are you kidding me, truck oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted this over on the Sale and Rebate thread.... If you ever needed a reason to try the HDEO's.....here's your chance!!!!!

We have three bikes and this will cover us for a year of riding!!!!

======================================

So I walk into Checkers here in Colorado to purchase some clip connectors. As usual, I mosey over to the oil racks and start studying the sales. Hiden behind boxes stacked on the floor is a the Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40....with a sales sticker saying....BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE!!!! (w/Coupon, limit 2)

I promptly walk up to the front of the store and look through the weekly flier and sure enough.....BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE. Also the flier stated that the oil was $12.99....the sticker on the rack was for $13.99.

I walked out of Checkers paying $26 (+ tax) for 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40.

That just kicks tail!!!!!

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
So an oil that can take what a big honkin diesel motor puts it thru, must think its on vacation in a motorcycle motor.,,

Actually it is the opposite.

Hows that?

Tell me what semi you know of that can redlines from anywhere 10-16k, shares its oil with a transmission and clutch, has an oil capacity of 1-4 quarts and put out more power per cubic inch than a motorycle.

The average bike is WAY more intense on oil than the average truck.

With that said you can still run a HDEO oil in your bike with favorable results.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Does that mean we can, and should, run diesel oil in our passenger cars too?

With many, like Rotella (a mixed fleet oil)...it is perfectly fine as long as the viscosity is right.

But, a great energy conserving oil in the 0w20 to 5w30....is probably a better solution.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Hows that?

Tell me what semi you know of that can redlines from anywhere 10-16k, shares its oil with a transmission and clutch, has an oil capacity of 1-4 quarts and put out more power per cubic inch than a motorycle.

The average bike is WAY more intense on oil than the average truck.

With that said you can still run a HDEO oil in your bike with favorable results.
I was just reading a uoa from Rick A from jan of this year. And he listed 4 uoa's using rotella, delvac and max life oil. They all had almost 8k miles on each sample. And they all looked good. His bike was a Honda st 1100 with shared sump for the motor and trans. It didn't shear the oil very much at all out of grade. I doub't he takes his bike to the redline on a daily bases, although he might. I feel the reason a bike like his doesn't murder the oil, is that its made to endure the harsh life in a diesel motor. They have to drag 80,000 lb to upwards of 120,000 lbs on a daily bases, uphills and down sometime using the motor as a brake. Some of todays superbikes that can rev to 16k would probably shear any oil in a hurry, but to be real are just race motors put in street bikes.And aen't really meant to last for years being rung out at every opportunity. I have never heard of a Hyabusa with 100k miles on it.I would be willing to bet that most are blown up or wrecked long before they hit the big miles. so I guess my point is that if a big diesel motor didn't need a super tough oil to keep them running, they would all be running .99 cent pep boys oil.,,

I have never heard of a Hyabusa with 100k miles on it.I would be willing to bet that most are blown up or wrecked long before they hit the big miles.

About 5-7 years ago there was this story circulating on the web about some guy in CA who was a courier and used his RC51 as his primary means of transportation for work and play. Eventualy it was picked up by Motorcyclist magazine which ran the story as a sidebar and also showed a picture of him and his RC51 (equiped with luggage rack). Anyway the guy ran up 200K miles on the bike within in a couple of years using only dino oil. OCI was 4K and filter changes were every 8K. I forgot the brand of the oil but I seem to remember that it was not a motorcyle specific oil.

Though not as powerful as the Hayabusa, by most definitions the RC51 is indeed a superbike.

I agree, there are some guys over on sportbike.net and advrider with super sport bikes with 80k plus. Its hard to WANT to ride a super sport bike for that many miles. Though I plan on putting 6 digits on my BKing.

I doubt that many high output Japanese bikes are ridden anywhere near to their potential. A person running a Hyabusa to red line in ANY gear will be experiencing stresses and speeds that would soon exhaust the rider (either physically or from fright) and would be attaining speeds that will ensure he gets stay in the crow-bar hotel for a few days if caught. Sure. These high revving bikes are capable of extreme performance but very few people have the riding ability to extract what the machine can do. Therefore, in most situations, the engine will probably never see the stresses that the are built to handle. If a rider is capable of running such a machine to near it's potential and an engine problem does occur, it will be very unlikely that it had anything to do with the lubrication if the oil is of any decent quality. My experience tells me that when a high revving engine blows, it's usually due to dropping a valve, breaking a cam chain or throwing a connecting rod. When that happens, seldom is it oil related. I'd say that if driven normally, given regular oil changes at reasonable intervals and the valve train kept properly adjusted any decent quality Japanese engine will go to 100K and likely much higher using HDEO. I've flogged air cooled Suzuki engines mercilessly for over twenty years using HDEO. All I did was change oil, adjust valves, and clean the air filter. They're still running to this day. Don't underestimate the durability of Japanese engines. They are truly remarkable.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I doubt that many high output Japanese bikes are ridden anywhere near to their potential. A person running a Hyabusa to red line in ANY gear will be experiencing stresses and speeds that would soon exhaust the rider (either physically or from fright)

They say picture is worth 1000 words, whats a video worth?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIctnmEMMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H632kWiprQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KxIDRO2_24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9e59_BA66o

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Does that mean we can, and should, run diesel oil in our passenger cars too?
HDEO oils are not diesel oils

Nice vids.

Not to diminish the accomplishments of the BKing but the other competitors could have used the benefit of a wheelie bar. The BKing simply embarrassed them out of the hole. I'd bet that the others would have fared much better if they were similarly equipped. Doubt that they would have beat the BKing (maybe the Hyabusa) but the race would have been much closer. Nonetheless, the BKing in stock form is a formidable piece!

Bking = unfaired Busa

I had a Busa but I am too old and fat to "assume the position" anymore.

With the Bking I can have the same engine and brakes etc. and still be able to walk after an hour in the saddle.

My point is that I know that I am harder on my oil than a Semi truck is on his.

That said, I still run Rotella T in all my bikes.

Last edited:
I am old enough to post this in 1971 i had a Kawasaki 500 2 stroke triple that at its time was the fastest bike on the road at the time it was advertised at around 400 lbs and 60 horsepower now a 400 lb bike has an easy 150 horsepower. I would have died quick if I was able to buy a 2009 type bike in 1971. I am so amazed at what the new bikes do.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I am old enough to post this in 1971 i had a Kawasaki 500 2 stroke triple that at its time was the fastest bike on the road at the time it was advertised at around 400 lbs and 60 horsepower now a 400 lb bike has an easy 150 horsepower. I would have died quick if I was able to buy a 2009 type bike in 1971. I am so amazed at what the new bikes do.

Gotta love those old two strokes. The H1 and H2 were fierce bikes in their day. Here's a '74 Yamaha RD350 (yellow) and a 76 Yamaha RD400 that I recently restored:

rd350410.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.

I have three more old Yamahas waiting their turn to be resurrected. The machines above are fairly modified. Engine work, state of the art programmable ignition systems, expansion chambers etc. They are both very capable machines. Quick, fast, nimble, light weight and very reliable. I'm amazed at how good these bike really were in their day. Of course, they're easily out-classed by today's sport bikes. However, they will out-accelerate most cruiser style bikes. Top speed is likely in the 115 to 120 mph range. In stock form they were good for 105 mph. I've had them to 100 mph and that was fast enough for me!

There's a trip, that RD350 was the first bike that I ever owned, and one that dang sure tried to kill me
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back