Wet rust on brake rotors after washing -- harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's common knowledge that it's normal for brake rotors to form a layer of surface rust after washing the car or after a rain. Today after washing my car I noticed that the layer of rust/crud will smear a bit if I touch it, probably because it's a little damp.

I realized it had never occurred to me that this could be bad for the brake pads.. Is it? I don't normally like to go for a drive immediately after washing the car because I have to take a dirt road to get away from the house. So, the rust layer ends up sitting on the rotors for a while and drying, leading to some nice bite the first time I apply the brakes.

Any harm in this?

I've never had an issue with rusty rotors, however when they're really built up, I do ride the brakes for a block to heat things up a bit and get the rust residue off, but never have had a stopping issue.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I've never had an issue with rusty rotors, however when they're really built up, I do ride the brakes for a block to heat things up a bit and get the rust residue off, but never have had a stopping issue.

One of my neighbors was charged 800 bucks just last week to remove the rust from the rotors in her 04 Marquis.

I knew after he told me she was ripped off.

Originally Posted By: rationull
I know it's common knowledge that it's normal for brake rotors to form a layer of surface rust after washing the car or after a rain. Today after washing my car I noticed that the layer of rust/crud will smear a bit if I touch it, probably because it's a little damp.

I realized it had never occurred to me that this could be bad for the brake pads.. Is it? I don't normally like to go for a drive immediately after washing the car because I have to take a dirt road to get away from the house. So, the rust layer ends up sitting on the rotors for a while and drying, leading to some nice bite the first time I apply the brakes.

Any harm in this?

I worked as a lot boy when I was a SR in HS. It was not uncommon for rotors to flash rust. The salesman had to deal with that issue several times a day when people were walking the lot looking at cars. A simple ride around the block will get the rust off the rotors. On very damp days it wipes right off if you run your finger over it.

The girl mentioned that got ripped off should park her car by the mechanic at night when he's closed and spray a little water on the new rotors she got and have the A-hole replace them because they rusted over by morning and would be clearly defective. LOL two can play that game!!!!!!!!!!!! Better yet is if the guy is closed on a Sunday park it there Saturday night spray a little water on the rotors and see him first thing Monday morning. Another reason why I try and stay as far away from shops as I can.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

One of my neighbors was charged 800 bucks just last week to remove the rust from the rotors in her 04 Marquis.

I guess there is a sucker born every minute.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Mine do the same thing and I regularly have rotors last 10's of thousands of miles.

I realize you mean to say it's been harmless but "10s of thousands of miles" isn't really all that encouraging :)

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

My mechanics charges $120 for replacing 4 rotors, front and rear pads and flush brake fluid, I provided all the parts I bought online. The total brake jobs on MB E430 costs me less than $500.

I don't really understand why someone tried to rip off somebody so bad. If she changed all pads and resurfaced all 4 rotors, then the labor cost should be around $200 plus 2 sets of pads should be around $100-150 max, bring the total to about $350 max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back