• Camshaft seals
  • Spark plugs
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat
  • Radiator hoses
  • Radiator cap
  • PCV valve
  • Air filter

and added ARX to the power steering and the transmission. I also flushed the coolant. After the job, the Vehicle Stability Control light came on, along with the Traction Off warning and the Check Engine light. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, and it went away. I drove it around for 10 km or so and it was off...until I switched off the engine and restarted it. First the CE light comes on, followed by the other two. Anything obvious I should check before an OBD-II? Thanks!

Reset the PCM by disconnecting the neg battery terminal and press the brake peddle 5 or 6 times to discharge and residual voltage. Reconnect, start engine and leave idling for 5-10 minutes before driving. I think your 10 minute disconnect does not reset the PCM.

Last edited:
Double-check to see if you didn't dislodge any sensors or plugs, especially if you were going in through the wheel well. Sounds like some wire isn't seated properly.

The stabilty and traction lights are coming on with the check engine light because they are being disabled by the PCM as a result of whatever the issue is. I get a laugh out of people always saying to disconnect the battery cable to clear or reset the computer. This is OBD2 and that doesn't work like the old OBD1 systems. OBD2 remembers most codes and whatever problem you have will continue to set the codes until you fix the root cause. Bottom line - you need to read the code and then take the appropriate repair action and use the scan tool to clear the codes.

Last edited:
Update: Timing belt jumped a tooth, triggering Check Engine and automatically disabling VSC and TRC. Now it's all sorted!
thumbsup2.gif

Did timing belt jumped a tooth or was it installed one tooth off? In either case, does the car drove badly after the belt was off? Thank God computer is smarter than the driver who realizes that the belt was off :)

This is exactly what I hate about preventive maintainance; making it worse than before.

- Vikas

Vikas, it jumped a tooth. I was at it from 09:30 till 23:00, and it got to a point where I was so fed up that I just wanted to finish. Rushing it is what probably made the belt jump a tooth. Having said that, the car is now a blast to drive.
thumbsup2.gif

I still recall one of the Honda mechanic who screwed up timing so bad during a routine visit on 1983 Honda Prelude. It would have been obvious to any person driving the car that something was wrong but they release the vehicle like that.

A mechanic like that would have replaced the timing belt, put it wrong and would have claimed that everything is fine and they "all do that".

Oh well, I am glad you found and fixed the jumped tooth! I am impressed that computer is able to notice a jumped tooth.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back