How do you quiet a loud garage door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 car garage door.
Less than 2 years old.
Typical electric/chain drive.
When I open/close it by hand, it doesn't seem to require that much effort. So I don't think its binding.
I tried WD40, that worked for maybe a day. Also tried 3 in 1, that worked for maybe 2 days.

So what does everyone use? A heavy grease?

Torsion spring or extension spring? Extension springs are usually noiser than torsion.

If the door has steel rollers replace them with high quality nylon rollers.

We replaced the extension springs and steel rollers on our previous home's garage door with a torsion spring and nylon rollers. The door operated so quietly afterwards the only thing you could hear inside the house was the slight hum of the garage door opener. It was that way until we sold the house 3 or 4 years later.

If you mean the noise from the rollers in the tracks, I use a spray lube called Tri-Flow. You want something that will dissipate and leave a residual coating, grease would not be good IMO, it would just attract dirt/dust.

Sometimes it's just one spot that's noisy, to find that place I take the remote control with me up the step ladder, and work the door up and down while my ear is right up by the spring/track/rollers. The fact that what you're trying works temporarily means you're working on the right area.

Good luck~

On a reco from a forum member, I tried Ace hardware and found a terrific lubricant called Garage Door Lubricant (Ace brand). Comes in a tube or a spray, really worked well for me.

Most of my door's noise, I think, is the motor hanging from the rafters, resonating the rafters. More bracing would change the frequency. Also the part that bolts to the top door panel might vibrate said door panel. Maybe putting in a heavy steel plate between the bracket and door might deaden that noise.

If it's the chain or rollers, disregard everything I said.

Do you have a heavy wood door? My dad and I both replaced our wooden doors with steel and viola - now you can be standing in the garage and just hear a hum when it's working. Worked for both of our setups.

Nylon rollers huh? I never would have thought of that.

Are they $? Can I get them online?

Its a steel door with torsion springs. Its not the motor or chain they are both remarkably quiet.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

I got a 12 pack for something like $60, I would imagine you can get them online, I got mine at Menards.

You know what I think its the hinges. Just went out and cycled it a few times. The hinges are making this loud squeaking/groaning sound. Sounds like they all are. I couldn't hear much coming from the rollers.

Penetro or Liquid Wrench dry lube works wonders on door hardware and chains. Believe it or not, the Lift-Master we have now is quieter than the 10 year old Genie that it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back