Too much Waterwetter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dumped an entire (12ounce) bottle of Redline Waterwetter into my radiator after doing a coolent change. Then I read the back of the bottle and it says use 1ounce of waterwetter per quart... Oops! My cooling system only holds 4.5 quarts, it seems like I've added around 4 or 5 times the recommended dosage of waterwetter. Will it do any damage having so much WW in my cooling system? Do I have to drain some coolent out and re-dilute?

crushedcar.gif

It won't damage anything, but you will notice the WaterWetter start to turn into a black gunk inside the coolant overflow tank. Personally.....I didnt notice WW makes any difference coolant temps in a 5.0 Mustang or my Vette. I would jut stick to Zerex G05.

BTW, WaterWetter used to come in a dry powered form that was colored pink and it looked like the candy Nerds, this was 10 years ago. I have tried both the powered & the liquid WaterWetter with no reduction in temps.
dunno.gif

thanks for the replies.
I guess I'll drain half the existing coolant and refill with distilled water.

Waterwetter is only needed if you run plain water and no coolant in your cooling system. Using it along with a 50/50 mix of modern coolant is a waste, and you will be hard pressed to see any benefits.

If you read up on the redline web site it says your gauge will not show a lower tempature. It is "supposed" to aid in cooling efficency, i.e. heat transfer. So your cars coolant would essentially warm up faster because it is drawing more heat from the engine. It also mentions that its supposed to reduce or eliminate hotspots where air pockets may be in the cooling system so those parts are cooled or are better cooled.

Water wetter is a surfactant/corrosion retardant made for use when racing rules disallow any coolant besides water. Water evaporates from the track, and doesn't leave residue like glycol based coolants, so traction/safety is not effected. A bit pointless in street engines.

What kind of car do you have that has that small of a cooling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back