New Semi-Synth.....Rotella 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmm..... I have an itch to try this stuff in my bikes, especially the 10w40.

Although....I will have to wait a bit, since I just purchased 4 gallons of Delvac on sale for half price.

Shell Rotella® T5 Synthetic Blend Technology is designed to provide extended-drain capability, enhanced engine cleanliness, and excellent wear protection. Shell Lubricants is one of the first companies to offer synthetic blend SAE 10W-30 and SAE 10W-40 viscosity grade products that meet some of the most stringent heavy duty engine oil specifications globally, such as API CJ-4, ACEA E9 and Volvo VDS-4.

==================================

Also....how about the claims for the new 5w40 formulation????

34% !!!!!

Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil’s protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability.

Shell Rotella® T6 delivers 34 percent better wear performance on average compared to the previous API CI-4 PLUS 5W-40 formulation. In seven out of seven industry-standard, diesel-engine wear test measurements, Shell Rotella® T6 outperformed the previous formulation.

Yes, I seen the T5 and T6 on the Shell website and I took intrest. But seeing as winter is approaching and I still have 4 gallons of 15w40 and 1 gallon of 5w40. It will be a year or two before I can try it.

Here is what impresses me the most......

t6_shear_stability.gif

Being shear stable, is a big deal to me in my shared sump bikes.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
...I still have 4 gallons of 15w40 and 1 gallon of 5w40. It will be a year or two before I can try it.

This is why I don't stock pile oil. There is no way I could wait two years to try this stuff!
20.gif

I am wondering when it will hit the shelves?

Last edited:
their tests means nothing to me. i've seen all the pretty charts and graphs and blah blah blah.

the MixMaster of DOOM! is the only real test i care about.

survive it and then you've got something to write home about.
especially so if it is a 10w40!

At least the new T6 is touted as being "energy saving" which makes me worried about our wet clutches. Those words are the kiss of death for wet clutches, according to some. Have they changed the formulation?

Again ... unless you're looking for the cold-flow properties of the synthetic (or semi-synthetic), why bother?

One of the things I don't see on the viscosity loss chart is the comparison to the 15W-40 conventional.

My hunch is the 15W-40 conventional does everything any of us need from an oil and then some. So why bother with synthetic?

One reason I bother with the 5W-40 is it is likely to be 40 degrees tomorrow morning and it'll soon be colder. The synthetic makes for easy starts, good stability and protection in storage over the winter, and better protection in cold temps.

But Shell never mentions T6 vs. yesterday's Rotella Triple Protection CJ-4 5W-40. Is it the same stuff with new marketing, or really a new oil?

Website quote-
"and a new formula for its full synthetic engine oil, Shell Rotella® T6."

I take it as "new formula" means a change.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon

One of the things I don't see on the viscosity loss chart is the comparison to the 15W-40 conventional.

My hunch is the 15W-40 conventional does everything any of us need from an oil and then some. So why bother with synthetic?

are you trying to start a fight don?

really.

are you thinking with your dipstick jimmie?

synthetic is clearly better. i've seen it on tv.

i'd like to give it a test just to see how it holds up.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

No, not really.
23.gif

I'll confess to being swayed by the marketing for synthetic.

But still ... even the Shell Rotella website makes no claims about synthetic being "better" in any protective way other than the cold flow properties and the ability to withstand really high heat conditions, which they say doesn't really happen all that often to a well maintained vehicle.

30 or 40 degrees ambient is well within what a 15W can accommodate.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I use that 5W-40 in the primary chancase for my Harleys. In the winter.... starting the bikes in gear with the clutch "IN" will take you for a surprise ride if you use the Harley-recommended Formula+ (approx a 50 wt).

Also use it for winter fill in the crankcase(s)

It's been OK for the clutch pack. Well, so far. Never had a bike for more than 60,xxx miles and it was good to there.

No, not really.
23.gif

I'll confess to being swayed by the marketing for synthetic.

But still ... even the Shell Rotella website makes no claims about synthetic being "better" in any protective way other than the cold flow properties and the ability to withstand really high heat conditions, which they say doesn't really happen all that often to a well maintained vehicle.

30 or 40 degrees ambient is well within what a 15W can accommodate.

I'm totally on board with Don on this one. We just have too many OCI's of dino 15w40 to prove that it is awesome and very, very hard to compete with. Matter of fact....check out the OCI's of that ST100, where 5w40 and 15w40 have been tested. VERY, VERY, VERY....little difference.

That is why I choose to buy 4 gallons of Delvac recently with the half price sale.

Regardless, I am still curious about both the T5 and the T6.

By the way, I have Rotella synthetic in my bike right now....and it will stay in there for the winter.

No, not really.
23.gif

Don/John
somehow i think my sarcasm didnt come across quite the way i wanted it to!

or maybe you're just old!
grin2.gif

Hey Steve ... I picked up on the sarcasm, but I wasn't sure if others would, so I answered semi-seriously.

I am just old, though ... nothing changes that!

withstanding high heat is a good thing.

especially when i'm in a mud hole, working the bike to get it out with no airflow in the radiators.

now, granted, we here in central texas have forgotten what a mud hole is and how they are formed (lake is down 50.5 FEET) but we've heard stories.
and having the hottest july on record (102 daily average) felt like a hairdryer in your face.

i wonder if i can scare any up before my next race to test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back