Don't lose the key to a German car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friends has an Audi TT. It's fast, and looks nice, but something is always broken. This time, it isn't the car's fault. My friend left the car at my house when he went to the beach, and lost the only key to the car. The key was finally found, but it won't get here until next week. My friend didn't get a replacement because they cost $150 and must be laser cut in Germany and shipped here. The car has been sitting in front of my house for three weeks, and I think it is part of the yard now.
IMG_0780.jpg

Yeah, Audi is a real pain in the rump to deal with. I needed an extra key for my A6 a few years ago. Even though I had the ability to program the immobilizer in my car to accept the new key, it required a code from Audi to do it and they outright refused to give me the code for my own car. So I was forced to pay a dealer for an hour's labor to perform a 5 minute job on my car.

paid about $400 for a key on my Volvo. i bought mine used from the dealer i work at and was promised a 2nd key when i bought it. when they saw how much it was, no-one in sales could remember promising it.

A replacement key for my Saab 93 is about $100, including the transmitter part as well as the laser-cut key part (which is only for opening the doors).

Don't lose all your keys, though..if you do, they cannot program a new key to the car without replacing the PCM, which costs about $600 just for the part.

I was parting out a chevy cavalier and got a paypal order from Canada, a guy was having passlock issues and wanted the ignition cylinder, computer, and all the door & trunk cylinders so his one key would match.

I let him know you could reprogram the things by leaving the key on but he wanted kit & kaboodle.

The stylish TT makes an excellent lawn ornament. You must be the envy of your neighborhood huh? "Honey can we put a TT next to the pink flamingos I mean look at rangerxl's yard..."

Replacement key for my Camry=Walmart under $5 for the key cutter. Dealership useing the punch number system $15 common sense reigns supreme! I hate it when companies make the mundane complicated like keys!

Keys for my sierra cost like 5 bucks at walmart, at the dealer 50-60. However, if cut at walmart the key only works on one side for some reason.

Originally Posted By: pickled
The stylish TT makes an excellent lawn ornament. You must be the envy of your neighborhood huh? "Honey can we put a TT next to the pink flamingos I mean look at rangerxl's yard..."

Yeah, as far as immobile vehicles go, it's pretty classy.
grin2.gif

My mom lost the first set of keys for her Kia and then the spare set and got a new key from the dealer with remote control thingy for $50 total. All they needed was the VIN# and they cut her one on the spot and programmed the new FOB into her car for FREE.
thumbsup2.gif

Leaves much to be said for the "Higher End" brands.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defektes
Keys for my sierra cost like 5 bucks at walmart, at the dealer 50-60. However, if cut at walmart the key only works on one side for some reason.

The two spare keys I got cut at Walmart for two different cars are a little off. I always have to do some wiggling to turn the ignition. Works fine for unlocking doors though.

When I bought my car it came with 3 sets of keys. I discovered on my way home one of those sets was not programmed properly when it would not start, just crank. I later looked up the procedure for learning a key and key fob and they all work now. :p

Your friend can afford an Audi TT, but he can't afford:

a) a new key, or
b) to have the car towed to his own place, instead of just abandoning it in your yard?

Either that, or he's just a complete cheapskate!

Some people......

Some car's allow you to program a new key yourself if you have the other two keys. I did this to my Explorer. I bought the a spare key and fob from ebay. I programmed them myself.

My dad's Pontiac G6 uses a key that looks ordinary. However, there is a coded chip inside of it that makes a $5 key into a $50 key!

That is irritating.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Leaves much to be said for the "Higher End" brands.
wink.gif

usually people want cars from the higher end brands because the driving experience is far better than, say, a kia. It also may give them their "I'm better than you" fix that they so badly need.

Now, given the popularity of rap videos and the like, lots of other folks feel they deserve similar luxury cars. problem is - no money. Need to do some "jobs" in order to get some dough. cars are a good racket, especially once they are all apart in a million pieces. The more expensive cars tend to have more expensive parts (though some hondas, chevy cavaliers, etc. apparently are stolen because of the value of parts), and also the covet factor.

Nobody really wants a kia, in general. Lots of people want a lexus LS460. Guess which one is a bigger target, and which one has a more secure key?

It is no different than why people get alarm systems when they live in mansions, but not when they live in apartments and shantys.

Mark my words... If I ever become rich due to a lottery win or retire wealthy I would be the last to own a high end vehicle. I just don't see the need for a "snob mobile" or to have "ultimate handling" etc. Why?

Can't a Honda or Hyundai for that matter provide the same A to B in comfort type of ride, at a far cheaper price?

I just don't see the need...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back