Gearwrench vs. SK tools vs. Snap-On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into a 24 inch length 1/2 in drive Flex T handle breaker bar.

I'm finding them online for: Gearwrench $30, SK $55, Snap-On $110.

Anyone got opinions on the 3 brands?

I love Snap-On-but they cost a ton, S-K isn't bad, but sometimes I have trouble finding specific tools in stock when I want to exchange something, my GearWrench wrenches seem pretty good, but I only have Craftsman breaker bars, I've only broken one EVER-including pipe extensions & even stepping on them!

GearWrench are cheap. Won't buy again.
SK stuff is pretty good.
Snap-On are usually excellent but as stated cost a lot.

Snap-On all the way. I have never been disappointed with a Snap-On product.

Yes, Snap-On products are expensive and warranty service is iffy. However, the products last and do their job well.

If you want to save some money, search eBay motors for Snap-On tools. I've purchased all of my Snap-On tools from eBay for about 30% off retail.

Don't skimp on breaker bars, snap-on by far. I am a engineer and I have used mine for 3 years now almost daily at work.

Snap-On by far!

Snap On for me. I use a Snap On breaker bar with a snap on socket for my lug wrench for my car, in case of flat. I work at a Ford dealer so our rep is their once a week.

I love their wrenches and ratchets.

Do not buy cheap tools.

It's just a breaker bar and not a precision tool. I've seen the Chinese breaker bars break the pin where the square goes.

I'd go with the SK out of those 3 choices. IMO its just as good as the Snap-On one @ 1/2 the cost.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Yes, Snap-On products are expensive and warranty service is iffy.

Really? When I last worked at a shop, my Snap-On guy would replace almost anything. Heck, he even "made sure" some tools were broken enough to be warrantied. I guess it depends on your guy. Or things have changed... that was a long time ago.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Yes, Snap-On products are expensive and warranty service is iffy.

Really? When I last worked at a shop, my Snap-On guy would replace almost anything. Heck, he even "made sure" some tools were broken enough to be warrantied. I guess it depends on your guy. Or things have changed... that was a long time ago.

robert
Ya nothin but trouble from my local snap on guy. I have a broken 1/4 swivel and he refused to repair or replace it.

Call some one above him. Snapon with out kissing your behind is a sin. I have broken a snapon breaker bar In fact I have broken lots of Snapon tools in 23 years of being a mechanic er ah Tech!

I would probably take the SK from the three choices based on price and quality.Snap On is decent but certainly not the best, definitely over priced.

If you go with Snap-On, make sure you have a good salesman in an established area.
At the last place I worked, the Snap-On man simply vanished and nobody took his route.

ampro for being chinese junk at AAP, isnt that bad. I'd never spend 100 for a breaker bar. get a craftman. Alot of sears around still.

I have never had a problem with my gear wrench stuff.
I can even put an extension on a ratchet wrench and not break it.

i have had good luck with kolbalt, it used to be made by snapon but i dont know who makes them now but are still us made.

Yes, that's the key to getting tool truck guys to warranty their stuff. A vice and cheater pipe come in handy. In extreme cases, I've even used a torch.

I've got a hand-me-down SK 1/2" Flex head.

It's tough. With that said, if I were buying new, it'd be Craftsman. It's not like it needs to be a precision instrument. Plus you can get it replaced on Sunday at 4:45 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back